Twilight 2000 - New Edition On KS

Started by Nefaro, August 12, 2020, 10:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've got their Aliens RPG.  Can't say I'm a fan of the system.  Too light in detail.  I need more crunch!

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 12, 2020, 10:40:55 AM
I've got their Aliens RPG.  Can't say I'm a fan of the system.  Too light in detail.  I need more crunch!

Says they're adding more crunch and, of course, more equipment for this one.   The core mechanic looks rather different than their other Year Zero stuff.  There has also been a lifepath character creation system included.

I'm sure it still won't be as heavy as the previous editions of T2000.  I'm okay with that as long as it keeps much of the focus.  I've not been a big fan of hordes of DRMs lately, anyway.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 12, 2020, 10:40:55 AM

1st edition / 2nd edition / 2.2 edition from GDW is your route to complexity!

Or, as always, scab the setting, whip out the GURPS, and apply thusly.  Plus side to this approach is you can then go hog-ass-wild adding anything from magic to robots to the game if you wish.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I had first edition back in the day.  We played it off an on but it wasn't the biggest hit with my group at the time.  We all preferred Delta Force from Task Force Games. 

Dammit Carl!

Gotcha.

Still stick by my GURPS suggestion.  Recall Millennium's End being crunchy and downright scary in terms of gunfights and the results thereof.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  Had Millenium's End too.  We started a campaign and were having fun with it when work took me overseas.  Took a 25 year hiatus from board/pen and paper gaming. 

Yskonyn

Am I correct in reading that both books in the set are only a mere 100 pages?

Either the rules are skinny or there little fluff in that case, right?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 13, 2020, 01:14:03 AM
Am I correct in reading that both books in the set are only a mere 100 pages?

Either the rules are skinny or there little fluff in that case, right?

I recall 1st edition being very thin.

What was 2nd edition?  About 200 pgs?

Nothing out of the norm.  I suppose that since it doesn't include a magic system, extensive world-backgrounds, or other similar subjects included in many RPGs, T2000 is mostly down to mechanics and equipment.

They're also adding Solo Play rules now, more setting/scenario stuff, and a new stretch goal is up for adding 50% equipment.   The page count is steadily going up.

Yskonyn

Yeah the box set seems to be going to be fleshed out nicely, but the page count of the books bother me.
Also, while I commend then for making an all round package, I don't see myself solo-ing a tabletop RPG.
The setting is neat though!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Due to my interest in their upcoming Bladerunner RPG I was offered a hefty discount on T2000 and I took it. Box arrived a few days ago and its a quality product!

Perhaps it'll be cool to run a forum based campaign for it!