Galactic Civilizatiions IV

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 11, 2021, 05:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Anyone know if the $10 Epic coupon (expires June 17) will work on this one?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on June 11, 2021, 10:36:19 AM

Yes, It works. I know from personal experience.  :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2021, 11:05:39 AM

Seems you've been weak? Don't worry, it's your B'day.  <:-)

Please, do share your experience.

steve58

Quote from: Anguille on June 11, 2021, 11:20:15 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2021, 11:05:39 AM

Seems you've been weak? Don't worry, it's your B'day.  <:-)

Please, do share your experience.

Thx JH....gives me a few days to ponder whether to jump in or wait...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Yskonyn

Its an Alpha, so if you're just a casual GalCiv player there really is no choice; just wait.
The game will change much, especially until beta starts.
Stardock has stated on their forums that only people who like to be part of the development cycle need apply.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

This just slipped from alpha into beta. I'm going to have to take a close look at it again. Could be a contender with DW2 for top space 4x.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Brad and crew are listening to tester input very actively. They seem to be on track to deliver a quality product. But so does DW2!

Turn based vs real time.
They both will have a place on my harddisk I presume. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

steve58

I picked up GCIV last June on Epic and ended up returning it since it had that same ol, same ol vibe to it (for me).  I will definitely take another look at it in the future to see if its changed much.

Jarhead0331

Pretty informative review on the state of the game...not all very positive.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Being an Epic exclusive, the game was totally off my radar.

Jarhead0331

Wow. I find this completely offensive. The game ended up being overall pretty dull (like all other Gal Civ titles in my opinion). Reviews were generally negative and Brad Wardell even acknowledged that it had major problems, and was being worked on to be fixed. Instead of releasing a patch...or even a paid DLC, they are just re-releasing the game, adding "Supernova" to the title and charging full price for it, except if you already bought it on Epic during early access, the purchase is discounted to $16.99. Talk about screwing over the people who supported this game over two years of early access.

I have no idea whether the updates actually fix the game or make it enjoyable and I am not willing to pay nearly $20 to find out.

Wardell is crazy. I will most likely never buy another Stardock title again.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tanaka

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 28, 2023, 10:37:49 AMWow. I find this completely offensive. The game ended up being overall pretty dull (like all other Gal Civ titles in my opinion). Reviews were generally negative and Brad Wardell even acknowledged that it had major problems, and was being worked on to be fixed. Instead of releasing a patch...or even a paid DLC, they are just re-releasing the game, adding "Supernova" to the title and charging full price for it, except if you already bought it on Epic during early access, the purchase is discounted to $16.99. Talk about screwing over the people who supported this game over two years of early access.

I have no idea whether the updates actually fix the game or make it enjoyable and I am not willing to pay nearly $20 to find out.

Wardell is crazy. I will most likely never buy another Stardock title again.

Ok so there is a Gal Civ 4 and a Gal Civ 4 Supernova both for sale on Epic and they are exactly the same thing? Wow.

Yeah no way this competes with DW2. I have tried to get into the Gal Civ games but yes boring the Gal Civ games just don't do it for me. And the AI seems to cheat terribly as it heads straight to everything and does not have to explore.

So the Steam release is now Supernova it seems. Here is a review:

FarAway Sooner

I thought the original GalCiv did a lot to expand the frontiers of 4x TBS beyond the initial frontiers explored by MoO.  The multiple types of victories, the different race-based play styles, and a few other more modest tweaks all did a lot to expand the genre beyond the basic framework laid out by MoO.  These are staples of the genre today.

Brad Wardell was about the only designer out there in the open world, engaging customers on internet forums and clearly articulating his vision for a game.  Combine that with the financial independence they enjoyed, and he promised to be a great future game designer.

There were a few other titles that tried and did some really interesting things (e.g., Pax Imperia) but none were very fun to play besides MoO2.  GalCiv 2 introduced some additional, interesting dynamics (more explicit rock-pager-scissors dynamics for attack and defense systems, introducing a map on your planet) that have also become a core of most space 4x games.  But the game play wasn't very different from the original.

I think that's been the core challenge of the subsequent games in the series.  They add some bells and whistles, but they just aren't that different. 

Brad was clearly a creative guy, but I think ultimately he lost people close to him who could give constructive feeback on his game ("Dude, the writing style for Fallen Enchantress is good and you clearly have a vision, but the content is rambling and lacks focus or clear themes.").  Most of his subsequent titles had interesting ideas, but they just weren't very impressive game play experiences.

solops

Quote from: Tanaka on April 28, 2023, 07:53:34 PMI have tried to get into the Gal Civ games but yes boring the Gal Civ games just don't do it for me. And the AI seems to cheat terribly as it heads straight to everything and does not have to explore.

Yeah, this is it. I have GalCiv1, 2 and 3. I feel that way about all of them. And none of them have a "space" feel to them. They all seem like land games with big gaps between cities. I like some of Stardock's other games, but the Space Empires series just does not hit it for me.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Lowenstaat

Here's a recent funny scene where DasTactic used the game's AI to generate an alien species based on his input of "reptilian desert dwellers strong military." The game created a reasonable alien civilization description, but produced a selection of images for the species that all literally resembled pieces of crap.

"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."