Top Gun 2 Official now - 5th generation aircraft and drone warfare

Started by Destraex, June 07, 2018, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Jarhead0331

I sneaked out last week and saw a really late showing.

My feelings on the movie can be summed up in three distinct levels.

First - Objectively speaking on the most superficial of levels, the film is just average. If I want to be generous, it's a little above average. However, it lost points in my view due to a really silly plot, a no name enemy that fails to lend any gravity or seriousness to the combat and too many liberties taken with actual procedures and operations. In addition, the characters were just way too over the top, even by the standards of the original film. The pilots were all Topgun graduates and were supposed to be the best of the best, but their behavior was much closer to a Hollywood caricature, than anything approaching the actual demeanor of professional military pilots.

Second - Despite the overall weak plot, there was a very sincere attempt to capture the magic of the original film and to honor it in genuine ways. This was done mostly by weaving memories and scenes of the original cast, their characters and even some of the aircraft into the new film, by largely respecting the original movie and by not altering the past in order to suit new audiences and standards. These efforts did not come off as lazy or gimmicky to me, and as a result, the film was exciting and moved up several notches. It is almost like a game that is based on a popular IP. If done right, even if its components are average, the sum turns out to be much greater than the individual parts.

Third and finally - As I mentioned previously, the original Top Gun changed my life. It grabbed my imagination and never let go. This movie, from the very beginning, brought me right back to the time when I was a little 9-year old boy, captivated by the beauty and power of the aircraft and awestruck by the men who flew them. It brought me back to a time where the dream of flight was right at my fingertips and the possibility of flying fighter jets was still possible and within my reach. Honestly, at times, particularly early on in the film, I was choked up and actually had to hold back tears. The film's success in drawing out those feelings and memories, in ways, makes it an epic experience. Some will understand what I mean,  but many will not, as this is something that is extremely subjective and personal.

...oh and yes, JD is absolutely correct...it made me want to suit up and fly Hornets and Tomcats in DCS.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

88mmkwk

I thought the movie was entertaining and actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I wouldn't say that I loved it, but rather really liked it.  I would certainly go back and watch it again.  The one thing that I found hard to swallow was some of the fighter action at the end.  I kinda expected an engagement looking something more like the below.....  But overall, the movie was a pleasantly entertaining and my wife liked it to....

Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

'Top Gun: Maverick' Catapults Past $1B At Worldwide Box Office

I may be the only person yet to have seen it.  Not really inclined to ever go into an actual movie theater complex again and spend crazy amounts of $s, but I suspect it would be great to watch in an iMax theater.

Looking forward to eventually watching it on PPV.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd