Int'l shipping - how hard can it be!

Started by Crossroads, January 19, 2022, 05:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

With digitalization, 3D printing, what not, world's becoming a smaller and smaller place, eh? Well, for us groggies, not  :tickedoff:

As I've not bought any boardgames yet for the whole year, I thought I'd have a look at what's on offer, in Kickstarter, in particular.

Old School Tactical Vol2 NOT A REPRINT - neat! We ship only to North America??? Oh well, missed the 1st print, will miss the 2nd print then, too. Must be good business when you are able to ignore that many wargamers out there. I mean, what's the point with Kickstarter then, why don't you just sell to your distributors directly if that's how you want to play it. Not amused, Flying Pig Games.

How about this reprint of four classics together: The Third World War by Compass Games. I own the original Arctic Front module, but not the others. So I bit. *PROJECT IS NOT EU FRIENDLY, adds Kickstarter, though. So while I do appreciate I can get the game for $150 while the official pricing will be at $199, that's a great offer. But, with shipping of $51, just breaking even, which is not too bad, either. But that's not it, add Customs, add Value Added Tax, and that's easily another 30-40 bucks at least.

We wargamers are a patient bunch, we get this is a niche market. But I mean, how difficult is this? If you're printing in China or thereabouts, just redirect one of your containers to Europe, to ship from there. Or with all assets having been designed as digital files, get a European printer.

I did say "Europe", replace with Australia, South America, what not.

Sorry about this rant, but Not Amused.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Flying Pigs, Compass Games, if you're watching, please do better.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

I have lived for long periods outside of the US, so I have some first-hand understanding of your frustration.

It does seem to me that in a hobby that is so small and niche, any sales are "good" sales.

But I don't really know, so it would be interesting to hear just what the problem is from the publisher's point of view; risk of loss, damage or extreme delay?

Delay may be a big problem these days. I have had one recent experience where I bought a book from Japan, to be shipped to my current US address. When I still had not received it 30 days after it was due, I got a refund. About a week later, the book showed up, so I paid for it again (I am guessing not everyone would do that).

I believe at least one US publisher actively courts international sales (Revolution Games out of Sacramento, California). They usually offer "ziplock" versions of their games just to reduce shipping costs and hassles for international buyers.

Also, I think GMT (located in California) has a good thing going with its mutual back-scratching arrangement with Hexasim (located in France), where they distribute each other's games; maybe more of those arrangements are the answer.   

While I think that ultimately micro-print runs at the local level are going to help, and may even be the final answer, today the business and possibly technology is still not where it needs to be.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

My intention was to be more constructive but I was a bit bummed to miss out on Old School Kickstarter...  O:-)

That said, I wonder what options indeed these companies would have. Lock n Load for instance offers int'l shipping rates a tad under $30, while Compass Games was indeed $51. Boo. Quite a difference.

In a perfect world the industry would somehow develop a better co-operation for win-win, with European games companies having their games available native to US and vice versa. I mean, the assets are all digital, then you would just need a printer.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Crossroads on January 19, 2022, 12:17:21 PM
In a perfect world the industry would somehow develop a better co-operation for win-win, with European games companies having their games available native to US and vice versa. I mean, the assets are all digital, then you would just need a printer.

Kind of like a franchise model. If they could figure out how to make quality consistent, and costs of micro-volume print jobs low, it sounds like it would work.

I believe Hollandspiele is a print on demand publisher out of the United States (it appears they have a European distributor however). They are a little on the pricey side, and quality is midling (IMHO), but overall they are proof that the concept could work. One downside is that there can be a two to three week delay before they ship your order (because of the time to print).
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

The Thirld World War kickstarter was succesfully funded with some 380 backers. Here we go then!

Crossroads

Parcel at customs, a further 50 note for that, and here we go, should have the game in a couple of days. Compass Games: thank you for doing this Kickstarter. Please note your fan paid USD 100 on top of your game price to receive it.

All good, just saying.

Crossroads

AND this is how it's done, thank you Lock n Load!

World at War 85 - Blood and Fury at Gamefound

Take my money please  O0

https://gamefound.com/projects/lnlp/blood-and-fury#/section/shipping-7302