Lexicon of Nightmares: Afternoon October 6, 1973

Started by MengJiao, August 05, 2022, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I switched from way south to a different game (Test of Faith, Adam Starkweather's Compass Games look at the October War).  A lot more violent up north: the Egyptians have rolled
extremely well and have shot down one IAF ace and taken all of their objectives and dug in on them and they haven't even used all their possible activations yet.  I guess I'll see if 2nd Army
can get its bridges over before the engineering support levels start dropping.  I'm only playing the northern half of a three day scenario so this may be skewing the activity levels -- historically 3rd
army was slow to get across the canal -- that's my excuse.  Then I'll see what the Israelis can do against max-ed out sagger values and what not (they did shoot down a fair number of migs and
some helicopters full of commandos):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 05, 2022, 03:04:42 PM

I switched from way south to a different game (Test of Faith, Adam Starkweather's Compass Games look at the October War).  A lot more violent up north: the Egyptians have rolled
extremely well and have shot down one IAF ace and taken all of their objectives and dug in on them and they haven't even used all their possible activations yet.  I guess I'll see if 2nd Army
can get its bridges over before the engineering support levels start dropping.  I'm only playing the northern half of a three day scenario so this may be skewing the activity levels -- historically 3rd
army was slow to get across the canal -- that's my excuse.  Then I'll see what the Israelis can do against max-ed out sagger values and what not (they did shoot down a fair number of migs and
some helicopters full of commandos):

Well, they can't have dug in yet (they have to defend successfully to be dug in), but by burning 1/3 of their available supply, they were able to reactivate some HQs, build the bridges and get most of the second army over:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 05, 2022, 03:29:31 PM

Well, they can't have dug in yet (they have to defend successfully to be dug in), but by burning 1/3 of their available supply, they were able to reactivate some HQs, build the bridges and get most of the second army over:

Nightfall, Oct 7.  I guess we can assume Gonen accepted Gavish's offer of help since -- though the Israelis seem to be losing this scenario -- their losses are relatively low.  You can see the
Cup of Snafu has been hard at work (though the Israelis got a "Great Leader" out of it).  Still it took five tank battalions attacking "immediately" and sequentially to disrupt and drive back one
Egyptian mechanized brigade and almost half of the attackers were disrupted.  No losses to Saggers yet:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 06, 2022, 06:34:21 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on August 05, 2022, 03:29:31 PM

Nightfall, Oct 7.  I guess we can assume Gonen accepted Gavish's offer of help since -- though the Israelis seem to be losing this scenario -- their losses are relatively low.  You can see the
Cup of Snafu has been hard at work (though the Israelis got a "Great Leader" out of it).  Still it took five tank battalions attacking "immediately" and sequentially to disrupt and drive back one
Egyptian mechanized brigade and almost half of the attackers were disrupted.  No losses to Saggers yet:

And...surprisingly, the Israelis won this three-day scenario, mostly by only attacking where there were no Saggers available to the Egyptian defenders no matter how twisted it might be to get to such targets.  Kind of gamey, So I'll have to come with some solitaire house rule that gets around that when I run the whole canal scenario for the full 18 days (Oct 6-24 in the rigid "political" canal scenario).  Plus with the whole canal front in play, both side are going to have big logistic issues.