All Quiet on the Western Front 2022 looks like it might be ok

Started by Destraex, October 05, 2022, 08:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Looking forward to watching this. Why? Because the trailer did not seem to show anything that was not relevant to the story. Movies have 2hrs in general to tell a story, mini-series or tv series on the other hand can potter around a bit. But generally I want to see the meat and potatoes rather than having 90% of a film be dealing with back story that does not need to be told. That is assumed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqgmaO15x4
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

I could've sworn I posted a thread about this and shared the trailer.  Maybe it was a reply to another thread.

I think it looks potentially pretty good as its own thing.  But yeah, it remains to be seen if it deserves the iconic title or if they're just using it and general strokes of the story to promote an unrelated WW1 action movie.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GroggyGrognard

Solid review of the movie. It's already Germany's contender in the 2023 Oscar for best international feature film. I think we were due for a powerful anti-war movie, and another adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque's book is a good choice. Can't wait to watch it.

"This is a war movie from the perspective of the losers, visually spectacular but by turns infuriating and heartbreaking. "All Quiet" is excessive, but it probably needs to be; the screenplay by Berger, Lesley Paterson and Ian Stokell takes a dark story and makes it even darker. Like most formidable war movies, it's hard to watch and hard to shake."

https://www.thewrap.com/all-quiet-on-the-western-front-2022-movie-review-german/

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Anguille

I remember reading the book. An impressive and sad story. Still so relevant today with what is happening today in Ukraine. Time to read it again.

Destraex

Quote from: al_infierno on October 05, 2022, 08:31:42 PM
I could've sworn I posted a thread about this and shared the trailer.  Maybe it was a reply to another thread.

I think it looks potentially pretty good as its own thing.  But yeah, it remains to be seen if it deserves the iconic title or if they're just using it and general strokes of the story to promote an unrelated WW1 action movie.

Sorry if I doubled dipped or gazumped you. I did not search I must admit.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

fran

I cannot see that it is showing at many cinemas in the UK  :(

Grim.Reaper

Watched it a couple of days ago, certainly worth watching....I don't recall the original so can't really compare to that version.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: fran on October 30, 2022, 07:08:15 AM

It is streaming on Netflix in the US.

Is it streaming in Europe / UK as well?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

I really liked it.

It did not catch hold of me for the first 20 min or so, but then it sunk in.

I think it is better than the 1930 version. Not to mention the 1979 version that was just never believable IMHO.

There were some scenes that I found hard to watch...perhaps it is the constant news of Ukraine...but sometimes the tragedy was almost overwhelming for me.

I thought the history part was 85% there. Some minor history issues that ultimately didn't detract from the story for me.

It was nice to see a WWI movie portraying the French. Especially liked the Saint Chamond tanks.

I agree that it is worth seeing.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 30, 2022, 11:14:33 AM

There were some scenes that I found hard to watch...perhaps it is the constant news of Ukraine...but sometimes the tragedy was almost overwhelming for me.

Agree with this, a couple of scenes were a little rough to watch...

Gusington

Waiting to watch this with 3-4 good friends next weekend. I know I will be watching this multiple times.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I'm also seeing a lot of people compare this favorably to 1917.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

I watched the first half while visiting ailing parents this week.  I'm not used to their massive 4K TV and I found it a bit jarring to watch in such clarity and high refresh rate.  It actually took me out of the story a bit because I could clearly see when they were holding real rifles vs rubber ones.  Got as far as the French tank attack.  I'll finish watching it next week most likely.

fran

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 30, 2022, 10:51:31 AM
Quote from: fran on October 30, 2022, 07:08:15 AM

It is streaming on Netflix in the US.

Is it streaming in Europe / UK as well?

I was hoping to experience it on the cinema screen. But it looks like it will be via Netflix instead.