Looking for a new rig

Started by GDS_Starfury, November 14, 2022, 08:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

ok nerds!
looking to make a new AMD rig and I havent kept up on things since I built the current pc 7 years ago.
I think Im good with keeping the radeon 5700xt gpu but what to start with the rest.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

nice rig and great offer but no.
part of this thread is to for me to help myself actually define what Im looking for.
some things that now come to mind.
1. prefer Corsair ram due to my history with it.
2. 1000 watt platinum power supply
3. probably sticking with Samsung ssd, again based on personal experience with it
4. fine with liquid cooling but dont care for lit fans.  it will be in a fully enclosed case by Fractal.

looking for another future proof pc to last 5 to 7 years with only an occasional gpu upgrade.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

What's the limit of your budget?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

the I have no children budget but still have a wife budget.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Can the wife be seduced negotiated logically convinced into contributing to the budget?  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I can't contribute any advice to actually building a rig, so I'm trying to think outside the box: diplomacy!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

There is no diplomacy with The Wife. Do or do not.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

A new rig is a lot cheaper than a divorce. Just saying.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 14, 2022, 10:12:00 PM
the I have no children budget but still have a wife budget.

You really need to put a number on a budget in order to get on target meaningful advice, as prices on certain components are in a great deal of fluctuation now. I'd say generally though, if you don't need the latest and greatest CPU and GPU, then now is a good time to buy since retailers are trying to unload inventory of the last generation, with the intel Raptor Lake CPUs, new line of AMD CPUs, Nvidia 40XX and Radeon 7000 GPUs, having recently been released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

somewhere around $2500 I think should cover it.

Gusington

You're keeping your current monitor?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I just built this quickly on Cyberpower PC for $2,415. You might want to spend a little bit more and get a bit of a better GPU. I believe the 6750 XT is akin to a 3070. For a couple hundred more you can get a 6900 or 6950 XT, which would be a worthy upgrade.

CASE: NZXT H510 Flow Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window panel [+38] (Matte White)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 Processor 7900X 12-core/24-thread 4.7GHz [Turbo 5.6GHz] 64MB Cache AM5
    CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Phanteks SK120 PWM FAN - high airflow nine-blade 500-1500 RPM Radiator Fans Black [+19]
    FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 240EX ARGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate [+10] (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)
    FREEBIE_VC: AMD Raise The Game Bundle Q4 [+0]
    HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7000/5000 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1000/1000k [+74] (Single Drive)
    HDD2: 4TB Seagate IronWolf Pro SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+153] (Single Drive)
    MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+105] (Team T- Delta RGB)
    MOTHERBOARD: Asrock B650M-C AM5 Micro ATX w/ Wi-Fi, 1GbT LAN, (4)PCIe x16, (3)M.2, (4)SATA CEC
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RMe Series RM1000e 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular, Modern Standby Support Power Supply [+22]
    PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC FPS Gaming Mouse Pad [+0] (Large 14x12 Inches)
    SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 6750 XT 12GB GDDR6 Video Card [+63] (Single Card)
    WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
    PRICE: (+2415)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog