Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

GDS_Starfury

I absolutely do.  that doesn's stop me from enjoying humor where I find it or laughing at the stupidity of russia.
I can enjoy the russian turret toss competition while also understanding that 3 guys just got killed and those were real people to other people.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2022, 09:04:47 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 23, 2022, 08:30:32 PM
BREAKING: Russia's Defence Ministry estimates it still needs to fire at least 3000 missiles before Ukraine's living standards get down to Russia's level.

You of all people should watch the video I posted. Maybe you'll realize you're not watching a football game.

If Star was in a squad enduring the suck, I feel he'd be the one who coped with humour... plus he'd be the scrounger/McGyver in the group.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

one of the things Ive grown fascinated by are the videos of front line field kitchen improvisation.
moral is to material as three is to one.

Windigo

When we set up field camps at our rock hunt sites, the sheer number of butane and propane containers/cylinders present would be bad under different circumstances.

GDS_Starfury

Crossroads

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2022, 08:54:40 PM
If you think you know what is going on in this war, watch all three and a half hours of this.

Thanks for sharing this, +1 for well worth watching from me as well.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Windigo

I got about 45 minutes under my belt watching this.

I can appreciate the emotions he is leaking out during some of his narrative. I saw a couple of gross things during my short stint as a volunteer firefighter, but it's absolutely nothing to his experience.

And him commenting about having a few regrets regarding his behavior during certain incidents... you know that they are eating at him.

Jarhead0331

^keep watching. I'd say the last hour and half or so is the most compelling.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Windigo on November 25, 2022, 04:42:22 PM
Interesting if accurate.

Just looking at the map alone, it seems like the spit is a difficult spot for the Ukrainians. Supply line extended over water, and it seems like it would be easy for the Russians to bottle them up there. So I am wondering if this is just another Ukrainian head fake (like they did over the summer), while they plan on a real fight somewhere else.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

its a useful distraction.
its also in range of every UkAf arty system so....

Skoop

I think Ukraine just probes constantly for weak spots and attacks those weak spots.  Seems the spit was a weak spot that was locally exploited.  Crossing the dnepr seems way better now that one of your flanks could be covered by the spit landing force.  I think Ukraine is going to keep pushing in the south, if they don't, the Russians will just use the troops evaced from Kherson to fight in the donbass.  Mean while Russians still keep attacking at bahkmut, pics look like the Somme on the weastern front WWI.  The bahkmut area has been a blood bath for the mobiks, could be why they are talking about another round of mobilization call ups.  Something tells me they have almost burned through those 300,000.

Crossroads

Aftern everyone's watched Justin's interview, here's a next very interesting interview of a Ukrainian officer under callsign "Arty". This does come as propaganda at all, rather some very realistic and solemn conclusions. I don't know his status, seems to perhaps work at brigade level?

Regardless, while he obviously considers what to say, about Kherson bridgehead, he on one hand says while everyone assumed UAF had the bridges over Dnipro covered that was not true, and thus Russia was able to retreat in an organised manner. At the same time he says the systematic destruction of RuAF assets there were quite successful, and in his opinion the mobility of these better RuAF formations is seriously compromised at least for now. Some interesting comments on how UAF rests and recuperates as well. 

Also some realistic insights how he calls those opposing Gen. Milley's calls for negotiation as hotheads, the reality is that while he is confident the pre Feb 24 territories can be "liberated" from occupiers, he is far less confident or even interested, it seems, to "return" (his words, again) the puppet regimes as most pro-Ukrainian majorities have left a long time ago. To "return" Crimea would be even more difficult, while the same problem remains most pro-Ukraine citizens have left the peninsula too. And while he for a minute sounds like a politician, he quickly reverts to the role of a soldier saying that's up to politicians, and that he very much trusts the General Staff and how they plan the war with no gung-ho action but a systematic approach trying to safe as many Ukrainian lives as possible.

Do watch until the end, very interesting commentary on many topics imho.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1596253185836212224

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

MengJiao

Quote from: Skoop on November 25, 2022, 08:15:00 PM
I think Ukraine just probes constantly for weak spots and attacks those weak spots.  Seems the spit was a weak spot that was locally exploited.  Crossing the dnepr seems way better now that one of your flanks could be covered by the spit landing force.  I think Ukraine is going to keep pushing in the south, if they don't, the Russians will just use the troops evaced from Kherson to fight in the donbass.  Mean while Russians still keep attacking at bahkmut, pics look like the Somme on the weastern front WWI.  The bahkmut area has been a blood bath for the mobiks, could be why they are talking about another round of mobilization call ups.  Something tells me they have almost burned through those 300,000.

The Ukrainians don't have to cross the Dnepr; they are already across it up north.  Which might be why the Russians are keeping up their spoiling offensive in the Bakhmut area.  I doubt there are any big weak spots left in the Russian lines -- probably nothing but massive attrition and hanging on while peripheral effects like economies and whatnot come into play will change the situation much.  It's like 1917 in WWI -- nothing but blockades and the like are likely to change the calculus of winning and losing until one side (the side actively shooting at civilian populations in the case of WWI vs  passively starving them like the blockade) suddenly caves in with mutinies (the France, Italy and Russia in 1917 and finally Germany in 1918)

Of course, I've been completely wrong about how this war was going to go since the very beginning.  I still find the level of catastrophic Russian bungling very puzzling.