Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 16, 2023, 12:34:43 AMI remember it fondly.  :Dreamer:

I had legitimately forgotten it happened back in 2018!! -- which from the context (Syrian conflict) you'd think I'd have remembered. Until I watched the video, I felt like it had been only around 2020 or something like that. (I guess in a way it was "around" 2020...)

In other news, I'm getting old. 2018 is already so long ago..... (Evidently we haven't recovered the old white beard smiley talking about the old days. It would, admittedly, be totally redundant on this site.  :grin:  )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

I think it is necessary to view the drone incident objectively. Yes, it was reckless, negligent, aggressive and provocative, but under the circumstances, not entirely unjustified. The US is openly, as a matter of declared policy, supplying massive quantities of lethal weapons to Ukraine that are being used to kill Russian soldiers and destroy Russian equipment. Furthermore, these drones are being used to gather intelligence that is being supplied to Ukraine to great effect. Finally, the interception was relatively low risk, as the US does not consider attacks on drones, generally, as a basis for armed retaliation. Several drones were downed over Syria with no military response. In short, I don't really see a down side for Russia and it gives them the opportunity to argue that they are actively confronting NATO while also not risking a greater escalation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2023, 07:54:58 AMI think it is necessary to view the drone incident objectively. Yes, it was reckless, negligent, aggressive and provocative, but under the circumstances, not entirely unjustified. The US is openly, as a matter of declared policy, supplying massive quantities of lethal weapons to Ukraine that are being used to kill Russian soldiers and destroy Russian equipment. Furthermore, these drones are being used to gather intelligence that is being supplied to Ukraine to great effect. Finally, the interception was relatively low risk, as the US does not consider attacks on drones, generally, as a basis for armed retaliation. Several drones were downed over Syria with no military response. In short, I don't really see a down side for Russia and it gives them the opportunity to argue that they are actively confronting NATO while also not risking a greater escalation.

I have to give them a begrudging bit of respect for the out of box thinking they did in bringing down the drone.  It seems clear the collision was accidental, and what they really wanted to do was disable the drone by dumping fuel on it (which I understand may actually disable the drone).  This tactic is a winner in terms of potentially achieving a kinetic kill using the least provocative measure possible.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Groggy

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 16, 2023, 05:13:06 AMhttps://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1636306622015238144

An excellent justification for providing Ukraine: A) Fighter jets they need to achieve air superiority. B) ATACMS to hit the Russian bases.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on March 16, 2023, 08:41:15 AMI have to give them a begrudging bit of respect for the out of box thinking they did in bringing down the drone. ....

I am somewhat surprised it has taken the Russians this long to do it.

I could be very wrong, but I get the general sense that the Russian military is starting to get its "sea legs" after many, many, many, hard lessons and mistakes. They still have a long way to go for competence, but they aren't making as many really stupid OPSEC mistakes; like letting NATO / Ukrainian sensors know where the Russian generals are located for example.

But I don't think that means the Russian MoD knows how to conduct a major offensive...yet. It was only a month ago that the Russian army was biting the big one in their own non-Wagner offensives.

I think it just means that the Russian MoD are starting to know how to conduct a war of attrition.

However, maybe all of that learned "competence" goes out the window if the Ukrainians do conduct an offensive (I would love to see some Russian units shatter). 

I also think that is why we are seeing Russian MoD push back so hard on Wagner recently...the MoD is feeling those "sea legs."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

MengJiao

Quote from: Tripoli on March 16, 2023, 08:41:15 AMseems clear the collision was accidental, and what they really wanted to do was disable the drone by dumping fuel on it (which I understand may actually disable the drone).  This tactic is a winner in terms of potentially achieving a kinetic kill using the least provocative measure possible.

The fuel or the collision only stopped the drone camera for about a minute, so I'm not sure how effective the
fuel thing is and for that matter making 19 passes seems more maximally twisted goofy passive-aggressive than
least provocative.  After x number of passes you're likely to "accidentally" hit the drone sooner or later fuel dumping goofyness or no. 

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 16, 2023, 07:54:58 AMIn short, I don't really see a down side for Russia and it gives them the opportunity to argue that they are actively confronting NATO while also not risking a greater escalation.

I guess as a PR event it is not too bad, but are they going to dump fuel and bump into drones from now on or is
it just another weird Russian PR stunt like having the Patriarch denounce people who don't like Harry Potter for the wrong reasons?

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

If that had gone down, would that be grounds for article 5 ?  Could Poland go boots on the ground in Ukraine with out NATO ?  Most poles would support a polish only incursion into Ukraine.  Poland views the Zelenski led Ukraine as vital to their security and they are chomping at the bit to get in the fight.

bobarossa

Does anyone know if the "NATO" Mig 29's have the ability to fire longer range missiles?  I recall the Ukrainian's complaining about how out-ranged they were against the Russian planes.

FarAway Sooner

I'm not certain, but I kind of think that they don't have the ultra-long range AAMs that the Russian CAP is flying over the front lines in Ukraine.  That said, land-based SAMs on the Ukrainian side with longer range can push that Ukrainian CAP back a bit deeper. 

Lots of cat-and-mouse stuff going on there on both sides.

I'm still astonished that a Russian jet could initiate a head-on impact with anything even the size of a garbage can (much less a Predator) and not flame out.  IF the Russian jet had initiated a head-on collision and both craft had perished in a fireball, I'm betting that the Russians would have claimed that the Predator initiated the collision to save face.

One of the oldest trick of dictators and would-be dictators is to drum up fear of some "other" to rally your own people and get them looking somewhere besides home, where the government is normally totally screwing things up.

The whole point of getting in a fight with some other country is to focus the fear of the people on somebody besides yourself.

That said, the Russians are flying their planes through international airspace with impunity to launch attacks on Ukraine, and NATO has responded by flying a lot of their intelligence assets right up against international airspace to give the Ukrainians better targeting info.  There's been some curious back-and-forthing from the Pentagon on exactly what they're doing, but those agencies aren't really in the business of consistently telling the truth, nor should they be.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: bobarossa on March 16, 2023, 05:04:35 PMDoes anyone know if the "NATO" Mig 29's have the ability to fire longer range missiles?  I recall the Ukrainian's complaining about how out-ranged they were against the Russian planes.

well if Ukrainian Mig-29s can fire HARMS, who knows what Polish Migs can shoot these days.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

very reliable ammunition  :ROFL:
glad their factories are working around the clock.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1636332146129350656
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bobarossa

FarAway Sooner, the Russians approached from behind.   The Reaper has a pusher prop. 

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback