Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I finally, finally started The Last Kingdom.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It's kind of like, "Vikings" but from the other side. And it's more gooder.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

That's what I've been reading - it makes Vikings look like fantasy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2022, 09:43:55 AM
That's what I've been reading - it makes Vikings look like fantasy.

Speaking of Vikings, this snuck up on me as appears sequel series starting Feb 25th.....Vikings: Valhalla

https://www.netflix.com/title/81149450

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2022, 10:19:13 AM
I am exactly one episode in.

For my money you've got a good stretch of fun telly ahead

Gusington

Nice! I have yet to really read anything bad about The Last Kingdom.

I stopped watching Vikings because I had trouble following what was going on, but I am willing to give Valhalla a chance.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2022, 07:31:59 PM
Nice! I have yet to really read anything bad about The Last Kingdom.

I stopped watching Vikings because I had trouble following what was going on, but I am willing to give Valhalla a chance.

Overall, great series and fun to watch. I did start to get a little bit of "fatigue" going into the 4th season...but that happens with me and any series.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Definitely - it takes dedication for these modern season-spanning series, even if they are excellent. There's just so much choice out there it is hard to even remember what exists sometimes.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

For me, Vikings went downhill after Ragnor got thrown in the snake pit. Just not the same after. The last Kingdom got better with each new season though Season 4 was a little out-of-step I thought. I'll give Valhalla a shot, not much else to choose from.  :-\

Gusington

^That's the exact spot for me too. The scene with him in the pit was great and then I just lost interest. The series should have probably ended there.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

In the actual Viking sagas and even in some Anglo-Saxon stories the whole 'Ragnar getting thrown in the pit, causing his sons to form the Great Army and invade England' thing is more like the beginning of the story rather than the end. In a way, most of Ragnar's life shown in the tv series is backstory filling in before the 'historical' main event.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

I didn't get much of the story.  I bought the director's cut on Blu-Ray : it cuts all scenes without Lagertha  :dreamer:.

Gusington

Everything without Lagertha is just fluff anyway.

I am learning a lot from this thread on Viking history. I have a book that I am reading very soon on the Great Viking Army and did not know that Ragnar's death was the beginning of that.

Thanks 'Wing!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd