"Six Days in October" -- Game Time Is...

Started by Cyrano, October 15, 2016, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

True, Prussian divs were larger than ours generally anyway, and it was fresh (marching notwithstanding). However, depending on how Murat ran it, it might have still been a walk.

1.) Murat, though damaged, was also a full day's rested.

2.) Murat had several divisions to flank Wurt's single div with, and even to hit from behind.

3.) I don't think there was any way Wurt was going to keep Murat from cutting him off from supply.

4.) I suppose you would have run Wurt personally, but he's still an NPC division cut off from practically all communication and orders (and literally depending on what Murat did).

Murat could have nibbled him down from all sides and still screwed over the Prussian main supply artery, until ready to finish Wurt off.

As for ending it then, no, I agree, that was fine.  O0 I only meant that we were about to win a lot bigger, whereas the video kind of sounded like eh this was the best we could do but it was enough.

Besides, ending it then was not only technically correct, but also dramatically surprising. Especially since we couldn't be sure the Prussians hadn't rolled over East Wing and surged down our own LoC!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pinetree

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 02, 2018, 09:16:34 PM

Besides, ending it then was not only technically correct, but also dramatically surprising. Especially since we couldn't be sure the Prussians hadn't rolled over East Wing and surged down our own LoC!

Ney and I were wondering ourselves why you'd gone quiet. We'd send dispatches out and get nothing back. We even tried to get a message to you to march up to Leipzig and cut off the Corps facing us. Looking at the map now makes that seem ridiculous, lol. 
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Hatricvs

Totally concur with both the decision and the verdict. The forces in Merseburg were only of nominal value have no substance behind their by now paper strength.  I doubt I could of held in Eisleben and I probably would have tried to pull them back toward Halle, but I had realised part way through the game just how vulnerable I had left the 'back door' open to Magdebourg, trouble was that my forces had been committed almost everywhere and there was nothing I could do to close that door at all by this time!

I knew that Blucher and Ruchel were taking a pounding in Weisenfels and that is a primary reason why I tried to extricate my boys from The river line south of Leipzig to 1) try and protect Leipzig from a French breakthrough at Weisenfels and 2) either contest or aid the situation near Halle. The truth is I really thought that I was going to be cut of with The French taking Leipzig and flanking my force from the North and with Soult and Ney in the South. I had a serious wobble about this as will be shown in the dispatches. I should have continued the battle south of Leipzig but, once I realised that I had engaged the Guard there, I was convinced there would be many, many more French turning up at that point. Also against my original idea of defending behind dug in river positions I somehow had gotten myself into the position that I was attacking Soult and Ney across my own river!!!...that was never my original idea but more of this later.

What I really find funny though is that I had sat the vast majority of the Prussian army at Weissenfels for almost the whole campaign, I set up behind the bridge on the north side of the river there and told the boys to dig in....I think they dug in for about four or five days of the campaign; only to give up those beautifully constructed defences and march off to Leipzig when I realised that the French were using the Altenbourg - Leipzig route as a major approach line with Soult and Ney as it turned out!

Certainly a great campaign and as said above the game ending when it did made it look like the Prussian's were in a stronger position than they actually were; I think a few hours more and the situation would indeed have been a decisive victory for the French as the roads were open for a very vast development of their position and an easy consolidation of their positions across all my LOC's . Well played Napoleon....until we meet again Sir!

JasonPratt

The forces facing each other across that river south of Leipzig, also explains why each force decided to sit still! -- the French would not have wanted to attack you either!

Granted, in theory the East Wing corps brought enough divisions that they could have flanked over the river elsewhere to hit you from the side, or behind, but you were really too close to Leipzig for them to try that.

Re Weissenfels: yeah, I intentionally didn't mention my ironic surprise (in order to avoid spoilers) when I watched the early videos and saw y'all camping out there! In some other games, your entrenchment would have been monstrous had you stayed! But then again, East Wing would have probably taken Leipzig and then run a fast division of horseys up to your main supply artery.

I am somewhat doubtful the Prussians could have effectively tried a block-all-doors policy, not without you all taking positions pronto on the passes (and even then maybe not).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

And we've over-topped the mountain.

A mother-lovin' Kriegsspiel got ink in "Rock, Paper, Shotgun".

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/08/the-flare-path-this-and-that/#more-551455

(Scroll down a bit.)

Thanks to everyone that was a part of it.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

panzerde

Hah! That's fan-damn-tastic! We'll make this mainstream yet - there's dozens of us! Dozens!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Ignore him, he's just jealous he didn't join our 18 month slog... err... rousing good fun....

panzerde

It's because he's from Maine. You know how they are. They can't make up their minds if they're really part of Vermont or PEI.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

panzerde

I've long said you should just annex them.

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on June 08, 2018, 10:26:42 AM

Me or him? He can have PEI....  :P

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on June 08, 2018, 11:17:03 AM

Fine, but we want Cobie Smulders too.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on June 08, 2018, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 08, 2018, 11:17:03 AM

Fine, but we want Cobie Smulders too.

Nope. Nein. Nyet. Not gonna happen.

panzerde

What if they agree to take Quebec, too?