Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Poland also announced (I think yesterday) that they would be willing to host tactical nukes in their country.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

My sense is that the threat of providing nuclear weapons to Poland is a better bargaining chip than it is an actual deployment option. 

The Russians have been threatening NATO with nuclear annihilation for the better part of two years now.  There's no reason that we shouldn't work with our allies to make it clear that we can rattle our sabers as well. 

Unless we were threatening the Russians with the nuclear weapons we have based in the UK.  Then we'd be rattling our sabres.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on Yesterday at 01:31:17 AMUnless we were threatening the Russians with the nuclear weapons we have based in the UK.  Then we'd be rattling our sabres.

lol, well played!

Well, as Tom Clancy liked to say, rattled sabres are still in their sheathes; drawing a sabre makes no noise.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

I'm strictly hoping that the Welsh, the English, and the Scots all use that "sabres" spelling over the Americanized "sabers" version.  I'm sure somebody will let me know if they don't!   :Party:    :grin:

FarAway Sooner

Longer-range ATACMS have apparently been used in recent days for the first time.  Previous ATACMS shipments were limited to the medium range (100-mile) weapons.  But we have apparently now sent them a number of the longer-range ATACMS that can strike about 180 miles deep, on the condition that they only be used to attack targets on Ukrainian soil. 

The shipment that included the ATACMS was authorized separately from the recently approved authorization to supply Ukraine with another $61B of help, and was part of a $300M package that became available due to savings on other shipments.  Details are in the 2nd article below.

They were used to hit a Russian airfield and one additional site.  I'm honestly a little surprised that we don't have more operational security around what weapons were used when, but I guess this is the Internet age.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-war-long-range-missiles-4d2254639eb5a503d8b0a291ed0680e9

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-quietly-shipped-long-range-atacms-missiles-ukraine-2024-04-24/

JudgeDredd

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on Yesterday at 04:04:49 PMI'm strictly hoping that the Welsh, the English, and the Scots all use that "sabres" spelling over the Americanized "sabers" version.  I'm sure somebody will let me know if they don't!   :Party:    :grin:
We do...well played :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Heh, I read enough British/English/Scottish authors that I just naturally spell sabre that way (and sceptic instead of skeptic, although not much other Euro-flavor versions that I recall.)

Also I learned enough saber/sabre fighting in college to teach it as president of the fencing club (and afterward), so my Steam handle is Sabreman.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

A friend of mine's dad flew Sabres in the Korean War.  At his memorial service a few years ago, they had a flyover by some vintage aircraft, including an F4U Corsair.  Man does that thing have a throaty rumble!