Hamburg Maritime Museum

Started by besilarius, August 21, 2019, 06:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Anyone ever visited the Hamburg Maritime Museum?  Sounds really good.

Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg is at Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg.
18 hrs · Hamburg, Germany ·

Starting today, we are honored to present some models by Austrian artist Wolfgang Wurm on deck 5 of the Museum. Mr. Wurm visited us last yeat during the I International Shipmodelling Days in Hamburg at the museum. Both the team and the board of directors of the museum were highly impress by the talent he showed building and, most specially, painting his warships. One may really speak about photorealism when it comes to his models. Wolfgang Wurm was kind enough to let some of his masterpieces as a temporary loan at the museum. Those have been waiting in our depot too long now. We are glad to be able to share them with our visitors now.

This HMS Nelson in a scale of 1:200 is a very good example of his craft. HMS Nelson, named after the British Admiral that won and died at the Battle of Trafalgar (1805), was for most of her career the Flagship of the Home Fleet of the British Royal Navy. This battleship was actually a lighter version of the cancelled G3 battlecruiser. The Royal Navy changed her construction plans due to the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty, which imposed limitations to naval construction to avoid an arms race after World War I. A compromise was made regarding the armour and the speed of HMS Nelson. A peculiarity of her design was placing all three main turrets with 16 inch guns in front of her superstructure. The Nelson was completed in 1925 and commissioned in 1927. She was active during the whole of World War II, seeing action in the Atlantic, the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean. In 1946 she was assigned as a training ship before being decommissioned in 1948 and scrapped one year later.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Phantom

Have always fancied going to Hamburg & this would be on the list. Great looking model of an exceptionally powerful ship.

Being British it never fails to annoy me that Britain didn't preserve at least one of these ships for posterity. Whilst HMS Belfast is a great ship that I've visited a couple of times it pales in comparison to some of the WW2 Battleships or the WW1 Dreadnoughts - which, as far as Britain is concerned, were ALL consigned to the scrapheap. Like demolishing the Tower of London for the bricks. Sad & disappointing.

acctingman

The wife and I went to Musee National de la Marine in Toulon, France last month (part of a long Mediterranean cruise) and we were quite impressed with the scope of the place.