Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

After watching that video, corruption in the Ukraine? Military equipment being stolen right and left? A War of Attrition lasting possibly for years to come? Why is this the first time I'm hearing about this?  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

As  a DCS player I found this video on the Air War fairly informative. The guy being interviewed by Ward Carrol is some sort of British Analyst from some sort of think tank that has been to the Ukraine pulling apart some of the tech. He describes among other things the way the air war unfolded, how SEAD was conducted and why the common perception of what happened is so slanted.

The part about Mig 31 pairs in sectors getting awacs data link locks for missiles with huge range which has resulted in Ukrainian fighters staying low.

The problem with F16s needing massive runways was also mentioined.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 18, 2022, 05:45:14 PM
Interesting interview on corruption in the Ukrainian military and in the foreign legion, in particular.

Was quite interesting a lot going on there beyond just the reports of corruption as the interview was like an hour and a half of content.  Also seems his experience was prior fall Kharkov Kherson offensives cause he referenced irpin bucha early days to the Donetsk artillery ground n pound of early summer.  Would be nice to hear if the corruption is still bad since his experience cause a lot has changed.

Also he confirmed how unprofessional the Russian military is.  Confirmed civilian casualties in bucha inflicted by Russians.  Confirmed moral of Ukrainians are high and was impressed at how many answered the call.  Also he confirmed no nazis in the azov battalion, it's all Russian propaganda.

Skoop

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 20, 2022, 01:48:20 AM

Good move to physically cut the road as movement is locked to roads with the bad weather, but I would think that movement on this road would have been banned long ago with it being an arty sitting duck.....but with Russia nothing surprises me.

FarAway Sooner

You're probably right.  My sense is that heavy use of a highway within artillery range is a moving target. 

If you can only hit a road with HIMARS, then the only likely targets would be supply depots, rail yards, etc.  If you can hit it with heavy artillery from 10 miles away bot you don't have constant line-of-sight on the target, convoys are probably scarce but you might be able space vehicles a couple hundred yards apart and keep them driving 40 kmph down the highway (particularly at night time, I'd think).  Artillery fire starts to target intersections more often and hope that they guess right or just put a few craters in a road.

Do I remember that NATO used to have weapons that could deploy bomblets (essentially non-buried mines) across key junction points?  Were those cruise missiles, or artillery, or both?  I heard reports that the Ukes were using those on the highways out of previous Russian strongpoints, but I never heard any details.

If you're within 2 miles and can hit a convoy with direct-fire weapons (e.g., Javelins), then a road is probably profoundly interdicted.

Or so it seems to me.  If others have more knowledge on this topic, their information might be more valuable than my speculation!   ;)

GDS_Starfury

QuoteDo I remember that NATO used to have weapons that could deploy bomblets (essentially non-buried mines) across key junction points?  Were those cruise missiles, or artillery, or both?  I heard reports that the Ukes were using those on the highways out of previous Russian strongpoints, but I never heard any details.

the answer is yes.  the US has given them lots of cluster munition mlrs rockets because the US wont use them anymore for political reasons.  while we arent a signatory to the treaties banning their use we've agreed in principle not to use them anymore.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Skoop

I can say cbu 97s are my go to weapon for ground pounding in dcs.  Nothing like seeing what hundreds of anti vehicle bomblets will do to a Russian armored column, impressive even in a sim world.

GDS_Starfury

it would seem winter is here.
this has to be up north because all Ive seen is a mudfest down south.

JasonPratt

TIME FOR SOME TRUE RUSSIAN(esque) FIGHTING!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Now General Winter takes command. And he's a Bitch to work for.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

oh, winter isnt stopping this war at all.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

all mythology about russians in winter aside....
NATO tech works ever better during winter.
and guess what the Ukraine is now armed with.