Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Started by GDS_Starfury, May 06, 2022, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

So, post DS9 Trek..

I didn't hate much of Voyager but I didn't like a lot.  A handful of Episodes were very strong, a lot weren't.

Enterprise was utterly wasted potential.  It found its legs only in the last season and got cancelled.  Possibly my most hated Star Trek property.

Discovery...is a mixed bag.  Some pew pew early, season two was good, I just got lost as it went along.  It felt to disjointed and unconnected.  I don't hate it but it's the only ST series I haven't finished.

Picard, it's a character study.  Season 1 was good, Season 2 was ok and was 10 hours that could've been done in 2.

Lower Decks is great, but it's very meta and very much a press button nostalgia trip.  I love it but it's a distillation of the best of Star  Trek's comedy episodes.

Strange New Worlds.....in just one...one episode it establishes itself firmly as TOS and hits every button people felt when they first watched Star Trek in the 60's
It firmly establishes what makes Star Trek great.  It totally sucks the viewer in with a solid ensemble cast, a firm grounding in the world, and then goes directly into what Star Trek is about.  Discovery, adventure, and bold movement forward.

It's Star Trek, more than any series in a long time.  It's what we all wanted when JJ did his reboot.  It's pure, distilled the feeling someone in the 60's felt when they first turned on their new color TV and wanted to explore strange new worlds, and seek out new life and new civilizations.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

:bd:
its the sci-fi I need.  I've had far to much dystopian shit going back to Babylon 5.  I want and need an optimistic view again in todays world.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Silent Disapproval Robot

No fishnets, no go-go boots, no torpedo bras.  Show sucks.

Staggerwing

Not bad. Of course it's no Firefly or B5 but it'll do.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

WallysWorld

It was good. It definitely has more of the TOS vibe than any other ST series happening now. I'll keep on watching it. 7/10

The characters are way more interesting than Discovery's and Picard's characters. I gave up on Discovery early this last season. The progressive stuff was really getting tiresome. I know ST has always been about being more liberal minded, but Discovery took it to a whole new level that was distracting and annoying at the same time. I am watching Picard, but it's a pretty dark and moody show compared to what SNW's premiere was.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Dammit Carl!

Glad to hear this.  Star Trek TOS was the first sci-fi series that I recall watching and enjoying as a child, so I've a soft spot for the milieu as a whole and for the original series' era specifically.

GDS_Starfury

Dammit Carl!

GDS_Starfury

4 episodes in and its still running very strong!

Silent Disapproval Robot

All that buildup and no actual Gorn on screen?  Bullshit.  I wanna see green skinned 'roided out dudes in cheesy dinosaur masks and gold lamé caveman clothes!

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Dammit Carl!

This and Lower Decks should be some fun watching once I pull the trigger on Paramount+ in a few hours.

Staggerwing

It's definitely showing the ST flag. Good thing too since the new Obi-wan Kenobi miniseries, Andar, and Mando season 3 are looking to kick some streaming scifi ass.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is it just me, or does the Khan granddaughter character seem like a copy-and-paste job of the Drummer character from The Expanse?  Very similar-looking actresses, similar hairstyles, similar personalities and speech patterns.

Drummer from The Expanse

La'an Noonien-Singh from Strange New Worlds.