Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe assassinated

Started by steve58, July 08, 2022, 08:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes, terrible. And with a 'home-made' gun apparently.  :o  He should never have been able to get that close to Abe. But, maybe politicians should stay indoors to make speeches and such.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^Reading on BBC that until now politicians in Japan actually give speeches on street corners in cities amidst huge crowds of people.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Japan has always prided itself on the physical safety it affords to its citizens.  Their leading politicians have been no different.  Physical security within the borders of Japan has always been pretty minimalist.  This will rock Japanese society.

I've heard the same reports as SirPug.  Initial news reports suggest it was a gun made with a 3D printer, but I don't believe that has been confirmed yet. 

It sure seems like the world is going to Hell.  I wonder if the actual data backs that up, or if that's just the steady diet of fear that our media feeds us to keep us watching ads?  I don't honestly know.

Gusington

^A little bit of both. Bad things have always happened but we didn't always have 24 hour instant access to them.

BBC reports that the homemade pistol was made from pipes and that the shooter was a [former] member of the Japanese Navy, so perhaps he had some experience in assembling firearms, etc.

The last political assassination in Japan was in 1960 with, yes, you guessed it...a samurai sword.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Where there's a will, there's a way, eh?

From what I understand Abe was a bit of a war crimes denier and EOJ nationalist, so it'll be interesting to see how this high-profile assassination affects the Japanese public's views on his platform.  Are they gonna double down on the "Japan did nothing wrong" narrative he was pushing?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^Yes he was quite a nationalist - which makes me wonder what the assassin's angle is, what he was thinking, etc., especially as Abe was the former PM and no longer in power.

Makes me wonder if there was some kind of external influence from a certain very large Asian nation with a long-standing historical grudge against the Japanese which also happens to not be India.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on July 08, 2022, 01:53:46 PM
^Yes he was quite a nationalist - which makes me wonder what the assassin's angle is, what he was thinking, etc., especially as Abe was the former PM and no longer in power.

Makes me wonder if there was some kind of external influence from a certain very large Asian nation with a long-standing historical grudge against the Japanese which also happens to not be India.

From the reports I've seen, the gunman is a former defense force serviceman who disliked Abe's politics.  And Abe apparently was still pretty well liked and influential in Japan.  At this point though it's hard to say for sure.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on July 08, 2022, 01:53:46 PM

Messaging with some Japanese friends this morning.  They're more suspicious of a certain global economic forum than they are of their neighbours.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess his last speech at Davos calling certain pharmaceuticals into question and touting a strong, independent Japan may not have gone over well.  Seems a bit tinfoily to me but then again, what was tinfoil 2 years ago seems to be true today.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd