Main Menu

Hi Everyone!!

Started by DesertFox, March 06, 2023, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertFox

Hi guys,
Long-time lurker here...  I found you guys when I started following the war in Ukraine but realized that a lot of you have a lot of similar tastes.  It was JasonPratt posting RobO's Quick Campaign generator for CMx1 that finally encouraged me to sign up (I've been looking for those things forever!!)

My wargaming days started with Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord and Steel Panthers: World at War and that was quite an introduction (I still fire up both of those games to this day).  I have most of the CMx2 games also but they just don't quite have the same level of magic for me.  Most recently I've finally started breaking through the crust on the Graviteam Tactics games and have been blown away by them. 

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks for allowing me to join you guys!
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Jarhead0331

Glad you decided to join and start posting.

Sounds like you'll fit in just fine. Hope to see some of your thoughts on Graviteam Tactics. These titles seem to generate interest in waves around here, but to this day, as difficult as the UI can be to get around, these titles have provided some of the most immersive combat experiences in gaming for me. it is the on thing the series nails like no other!

Welcome aboard!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DesertFox

Thank you, Jarhead.  The Graviteam games have taken a lot of patience/strange dedication/research but for some reason I've always known there was something lurking inside there and after about 15 hours of YouTube videos (along with buying some of the smaller operation DLCs), I'm finally starting to see it.  And it keeps sucking me in!!
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Welcome aboard!   :ThumbsUp:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Welcome aboard! 

It's always nice to have a fresh player add their inputs on games here.  I look forward to learning more about the kind of games you like.

Have fun!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DesertFox

The newest game on the Roster of Unplayed Games for me is Second Front.  Which looks like a blast but now that Graviteam has finally managed to get its hooks into me, it's gone back to the "Likely to be Played Someday" list.   :Nerd: I've played through maybe 8 of the tutorials though and I'm definitely intrigued by the game.  Just need to find a way to add more hours to the day!!   :hair:
-- Spartan Battle Manual

DesertFox

Also I definitely think Jason Petho deserves a huge shout-out for the Vietnam game.  I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like with that one (those games are very slow-paced but worth it), but it's awesome what he's been able to achieve with that series.
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Sir Slash

Welcome DesertFox. Great to have you with us. After a couple of weeks playing Second Front, I've kind of drifted back to CMFI and company for a touch more authenticity in my wargame tastes right now. But I'm sure I will get back to it soon. Anyway, welcome to the club.  :ThumbsUp:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Welcome.

Please take a complimentary dongle and report to have the false memory of this fanciful front page wiped.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Glad to have helped bring up a new member!

Those guys working on the new Campaign Series games, are a national treasure. I have no idea how many come from my nation, but that doesn't matter. Whatever nations they come from.  :ThumbsUp:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!