Started by al_infierno, December 16, 2022, 01:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Anybody planning on catching this one?  I'm hearing it's a pretty standard James Cameron affair.  Great action set pieces with wonky and embarrassing dialogue.  Apparently it's much better than the deluge of crap Disney has been churning out, which isn't exactly a high bar to reach.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

On the fence. The first one was an excellent 3-D film but kind of preachy. The Marvel movies have made me shy away from taking the grandkids until I know for sure the appropriateness. Maybe a little recon is in order.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2022, 01:09:27 PM
I've never seen the original!

It's pretty much the most thoroughly mediocre movie ever IMO!  If you have a good home theater setup, it's worth watching for the visual spectacle.

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 16, 2022, 01:18:20 PM
On the fence. The first one was an excellent 3-D film but kind of preachy. The Marvel movies have made me shy away from taking the grandkids until I know for sure the appropriateness. Maybe a little recon is in order.

From what I've read, the second one is very much more of the same - fun action with a preachy story.  In terms of appropriateness for grandkids, I hear Cameron still knows what he's doing.  For example, the father character is a strong and caring patriarch instead of a bumbling idiot who has to be shown how to do things right by the strong girlboss.  None of that modern Disney crap seeped in.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I love Cameron's older movies but not so much his later ones.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Good to know al. Thanks Buddy.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Never saw the first one either.  Heard that the story depicts mankind as evil.  Well now I know why the Emperor wants us to purge the xenos.  Because they lie!  Haha!

But on a serious note, I like the sounds of this new one.  As long as it's not affected by woke bs a movie has to be good in this day and age. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk