Main Menu

Intro

Started by General Staff, January 01, 2023, 03:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Staff

Been away from forums and gaming for a few years but used to be active at Gamesquad/WarfareHQ/Matrix Games/ACG under same handle.

Main game back then was TOAW, but my 1st wargame was SL (see avatar lol) back in 1977 and played a LOT of boardgames (TR, TRC, Anzio, even GMT's Europa for those who remember that garage-sized monster).

Semi-retired now, more time on my hands, looking around for the next-gen TOAW (no no not IV, surely programming techniques have moved on since then and there's something better now?)...
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Jarhead0331

Welcome back! Glad to have you.

It's more naval and aviation focused, but how do you feel about CMO?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ubercat

Have you ever used Vassal? It's a great way to play board war games live against human opponents.

About 12 years ago I was working primarily nights and spent much of my days playing war games with a retired friend who lives two states away. We played literally hundreds of games over the course of several years.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

General Staff

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 01, 2023, 04:19:27 PM
Welcome back! Glad to have you.

It's more naval and aviation focused, but how do you feel about CMO?
Thanks. CMO=Command: Modern Operations (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076160/Command_Modern_Operations/)? Alas never tried. I had Wolfpack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfpack_(video_game)) and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/237/wooden-ships-iron-men) back in the day, but mostly keep my feet firmly on the ground nowadays...

Game Labs (https://www.game-labs.net) have a couple of sea sims I've looked at, since I've owned their ACW titles, they look interesting...

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Jarhead0331

^Yes. That is CMO. it definitely does not ignore land combat, which has progressively received more attention and become more feature rich. You're talking to a guy though who only recently, like a few weeks ago, finally started playing TacOps4.

Have you looked into the Decisive Campaigns series? The games in the series are WWII centric, but might scratch the scale and detail level itch of TOAW.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

General Staff

Quote from: Ubercat on January 01, 2023, 04:28:06 PM
Have you ever used Vassal? It's a great way to play board war games live against human opponents.
I think that was around when I first picked up SL in 77 (or shortly thereafter)! Looking at it (again?) it's a shame my folks tossed all my games out when they moved while I was away, I had c50 titles- the only one I managed to keep on the Vassal list was AH's Anzio (2nd Edition, Vassal is using 5th). Plus PC games do all the bookkeeping and remove much of the tedia, not to mention keeping the dining room table tidy.

Nowadays, with TOAW and other games, PBEM works good. Or newer titles have LAN or hosted server options for multiplayer...

General Staff

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 01, 2023, 05:32:41 PMHave you looked into the Decisive Campaigns series? The games in the series are WWII centric, but might scratch the scale and detail level itch of TOAW.
Thanks. Yes, someone else suggested that, I'm thinking of getting Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris (https://store.steampowered.com/app/337760/Decisive_Campaigns_The_Blitzkrieg_from_Warsaw_to_Paris/), on sale at c$10. Cheap way to check system out, plus has Case White, Case Yellow and Operation Sealion which are hard to find.

Tripoli

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes is also pretty good
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

And there's Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue also. Both Warsaw to Paris and Case Blue are excellent games. BTW, Welcome to the Grogs, glad to have you with us General Staff.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Welcome aboard General Staff. 

I heard General Winter ordered Major Mayhem to send in Sergeant Slaughter!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

fran

Welcome General Staff!

Sir Slash

Followed by Corporal Punishment?  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

UN Weapons Inspector

Ah , Squad Leader . When I got introduced to it at young age , there was a feeling attached to it , which I was to innocent to understand. Many moons later , I got it.  That was my first orgasm.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd