Glass Onion (Knives Out 2)

Started by al_infierno, January 03, 2023, 06:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Anybody catch Rian Johnson's new whodunnit?  I thought it was really entertaining and smartly laid out like the first film, though the structure was a little weird and convoluted whereas the first one was nice and straightforward.

Some people on Twitter said it's supposed to be a "take down piece" against Elon Musk, but I really didn't see that at all.  Edward Norton's character seemed more like a generic mish-mash of different "ideas guy" billionaires rather than any one particular person.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

we thought it was fun to watch.  I think a lot of people have forgotten how to just be entertained.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

ArizonaTank

The wife and I enjoyed it. Would recommend it. Still we thought the first movie was better.

There may have been a little Elon Musk in there. So what?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

My ex-wife loved the first one.

So I'll probably never watch the rest.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Eh, I get it.... Negative associations and all that.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Anguille

While i can't stand Rian Johnson since he was one of the guys who destroyed Star Wars, i really enjoyed the movie yesterday with my best friend. It's a very classic Agatha Christie's type of story with a new Hercule Poirot. Great actors. I haven't seen the first movie yet (it is'nt on netflix, is it?)

I do see Elon Musk here as well but it could be another crazy billionaire.

fran

Looking forward to it. Really enjoyed the first one. Happy that they are updating this genre.

I enjoy Daniel Craig in non-Bond roles....which would be the case for all his movies in the future

Sigwolf

Quote from: Anguille on January 04, 2023, 03:27:32 AM
I haven't seen the first movie yet (it is'nt on netflix, is it?)
The first is not streaming on any service in the US, which would seem to be an odd choice when releasing a sequel.  Movie studios gotta movie studio, I guess.

JasonPratt

Knives Out 1 is one of those films where the plot falls apart pretty spectacularly upon examination (it looks tightly written but that's a shell game), but which I still like a lot anyway.

Haven't seen the sequel yet, but the plot descriptions (especially for the central twist) indicate more of the same. Whether I'll still like it anyway, can't tell yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sigwolf on January 04, 2023, 10:52:42 AM
Quote from: Anguille on January 04, 2023, 03:27:32 AM
I haven't seen the first movie yet (it is'nt on netflix, is it?)
The first is not streaming on any service in the US, which would seem to be an odd choice when releasing a sequel.  Movie studios gotta movie studio, I guess.

Weird.  It is on Netflix over here.

bobarossa

I watched Knives Out on standard cable channel (TNT) just a couple weeks ago. 

JasonPratt

After seeing some reviews I was concerned enough to wait for some in-depth plot discussions; and after those, I'm convinced Rian Johnson was actively trolling his audience throughout the whole film.  :HideEyes:

Its plot structure depends on constant forced coincidences to keep the plot happening, and at the same time completely depends on all the characters being overtly dumb (including Benoit) to the extent of deflecting most plot criticisms with the appeal that not only the characters but the script itself is (intentionally) dumb. The "Glass Onion" title itself is intended as a bird flipped at the audience for hoping to see a smart detective story: RJ is telling you straight out that you're a fool to expect that from this film, if you recognize his reference -- and if you don't, you'll find out too late after you've paid (presumably) to watch the film when he spells it out for you several different ways in the dialogue including meta references to his story-writing philosophy against the audience.

I won't go into spoilers, because it's possible you may still have a good time watching it: plenty of people have done so, and like I said I enjoyed the first KO despite its (many, many) problems, but I'm not going to pay money or even time to be insulted by an auteur for expecting something good from his work.

I should add that, by comparison, I kind of like Murder By Death, a detective spoof which intentionally mocks standard tropes of the genre -- I even own a DVD of it. But it isn't doing a bait-and-switch with the audience. I could conceive someone enjoying Glass Onion as an extreme deconstructive comedy, as long as you know what you're getting into.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

I dunno if I really buy the "coincidences" argument.  Coincidences are pretty much the bread and butter of mystery stories, and as others have pointed out, coincidences are generally bad and lazy when they resolve the mystery, not when they set up or deepen the mystery.

I get you though, Glass Onion definitely feels like empty calories to me.  It's like the Marvel Cinematic Universe approach to a murder mystery and like you said, relies more on comedy and humor than classic sleuthing.

- MengJiao