East Palestine train derailment

Started by al_infierno, February 13, 2023, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Not sure exactly when this was taken, but this is from a passenger plane that flew over the burn-off.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Redwolf

Quote from: Windigo on February 15, 2023, 10:22:53 AMPipelines are safer than rail.... just saying that

Well, I don't hear about such derailments out of Europe. The discussion about the level of brakes to be installed on a transport like this probably ends with the weaker brakes not allowed in Europe in the first place.

Train companies is the US are a bit out of control.

Groggy

Quote from: al_infierno on February 15, 2023, 03:47:55 PMNot sure exactly when this was taken, but this is from a passenger plane that flew over the burn-off.

It literally looks like melanoma cancer.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's one hell of a big melanoma! Does this mean Ohio has to have surgery followed by Chemotherapy? 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Redwolf

Looks like it is politically neutral, so I'm just putting this here from wikipedia.

QuoteElectronically Controlled Pneumatic (ECP) brakes
In 2014, Congress passed the Rail Safety Improvement Act which required ECP brakes for "high-hazard flammable" trains.[5] The derailed train was not equipped with ECP brakes, which a former Federal Railroad Administration official claimed would have mitigated the severity of the accident. In 2017, railway industries successfully lobbied Congress with over $6 million and over $3 million in GOP and Democratic campaigns, respectively, to repeal the regulations requiring the use of such brakes on trains carrying hazardous materials.

However, despite the scale of the accident in East Palestine, the derailed train did not meet the qualifications of a "high-hazard flammable" train and therefore was not affected by the 2014 legislation or its 2017 repeal. The 2014 legislation was weakened by heavy lobbying by the rail industry.[6]

I'll try to find out whether such brakes are standard in Germany or at least required for hazardous cargo.

Sir Slash

Here's what I think, which is worth about the same as Butterfly farts. This accident is tailor-made for politicians. Every time there's a disaster, they flock to them to get their picture taken glad-handing and handing out bottled water and such. The fact that no politician will go near the place, nor government official, or even the RR Execs, tells me something's got them scared shitless here.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months after everything quiets down, the EPA announces they have discovered there is contamination here in the water and soil but from some kind of natural source like mines or industry and that explains why they couldn't find it....and are not responsible of course. The Old Potomac Two-Step.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

What in the actual hell WOULD qualify for a high-hazard flammable train?! .......actual hell!??

I suppose (more seriously) they mean materials that would spontaneously combust upon contact with normal atmosphere or water or other common environmental chemicals. That train didn't have such chemicals. Just, well, highly explosively flammable ones.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Another train carrying hazardous substances derailed near Detroit today.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^Is the total now four in the last 2-3 weeks?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It's so bad that people trying to commit suicide don't even lie down on the train tracks anymore, cause they're hardly ever on them.  :shocked:

Groggy

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 16, 2023, 10:45:39 PMIt's so bad that people trying to commit suicide don't even lie down on the train tracks anymore, cause they're hardly ever on them.  :shocked:

Knock it off with the suicide jokes. There are a lot of people out there who are struggling daily, mentally unwell, and don't necessarily have good access to  the proper help that they need.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

al_infierno

This video makes me woozy.  Someone tosses a rock into a creek and some, uh, very unhealthy looking stuff crops up.

https://old.reddit.com/r/ABoringDystopia/comments/114ksf1/residents_of_east_palestine_ohio_are_being_told/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Supposedly here in semi-upstate NY the rain we had today was heavily acidified from what happened in Ohio  :grumpy:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd