Age of Rifles and other classics…

Started by Jarhead0331, December 10, 2023, 10:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Never played either of them, will certainly give them a look when released.

ArizonaTank

Excellent news!!

Now we just need "Battles of Napoleon"
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Hard to believe it has taken this long.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Phantom

Both good games, though a little graphically challenged on a big monitor. Think AoR will probably be better for most than GNB as teh graphics hold up better & gameplay more intuitive.
Hopefully next on the list "Tanks" or the V for Victory series??

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on December 11, 2023, 02:41:33 PMBoth good games, though a little graphically challenged on a big monitor. Think AoR will probably be better for most than GNB as teh graphics hold up better & gameplay more intuitive.
Hopefully next on the list "Tanks" or the V for Victory series??

Tanks is being released, as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2707270/Wargame_Construction_Set_II_Tanks/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2023, 10:17:28 PMComing to gog and steam...finally!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2707280/Wargame_Construction_Set_III_Age_of_Rifles_18461905/

Embarassed to admit I bought a used copy of AoRs from Babbages or Electronic Boutique decades ago...still have it, but never opened it.  :idiot2:

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2023, 10:17:28 PMGreat Naval Battles

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2702080/Great_Naval_Battles_The_Final_Fury/

Now this one I played the h*ll out of.  Still have my big box of Great Naval Battles The Final Fury.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Oche

I guess Steel Panthers I & II, Fighting Steel, Soldiers at War and Silent Hunter I won't be that far away too  :ThumbsUp:

Old TImer

bobarossa

I have a vague memory of Norm Koger wanting to update it but being unable to regain the rights.  Or something like that.

Grim.Reaper

For those that played age of rifles or the naval game, what made them so special?  Do you think what made them special back then will hold up in modern days?  Not really worried about the graphics(except if the resolution doesn't scale well on larger monitors and higher resolutions making it hard to play), but gameplay wise was there something about them that would give more current games a run for their money?  Or is it all just nostalgia now?

I'll highly likely will pick them up regardless, just curious since never played.

Jarhead0331

Age of Rifles' appeal wasn't so much about the game itself, it was more about the era it modeled. At least, that's what stands out in my memory.  Crimean War, the Anglo-Zulu War, Afghan Wars, the Prusso-Austrian and the Franco-Prussian War, and the Russo-Japanese War were included. There just wasn't anything else out there at the time gaming these conflicts.

Also have vague memories of GNB, but what stands out is the ability to take control of individual ships and view the action from various stations. It was pretty unique at the time.

Very few of these classic games hold up. But I'm glad they get worked on and made functional on modern systems. Let younger players see how real games were made during the golden age of PC gaming. It's also nice to take a trip back in time on occasion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tripoli

GNB had a fairly good damage control element, where individual compartments were damaged/on fire/destroyed/flooded.  That is a factor that has been missing from a lot of naval wargames. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Phantom

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 12, 2023, 05:42:42 AMFor those that played age of rifles or the naval game, what made them so special?  Do you think what made them special back then will hold up in modern days?  Not really worried about the graphics(except if the resolution doesn't scale well on larger monitors and higher resolutions making it hard to play), but gameplay wise was there something about them that would give more current games a run for their money?  Or is it all just nostalgia now?

I'll highly likely will pick them up regardless, just curious since never played.

Can't speak so much about GNB as I never played it that much. AoR reminded me of playing soldiers as a kid, its very simple & intuitive but can be wearing to play bigger battles as you control each unit individually (though I think you could move whole formations). As Jarhead says, it covers a large breadth of conflicts so keeps pretty fresh.
The same applies to "Tanks" - WW2, modern US/Soviet conflicts & Arab/Israeli wars etc etc...all with sound effects! Both IMO small good filler games with a reasonably challenging AI. if they come on sale cheap I'll prob buy them - have tried running them both on DOSbox with mixed results.

SirAndrewD

AoR was amazing for its ease of play while still feeling crunchy. 

It also had an amazingly simple battle editor. 

As Jarhead said, it also covered a lot of criminally ignored conflicts.

It still stands solidly as my favorite wargame of all time and I'd do anything to see a remaster of it.

As it is I still play it on occasion in dosbox even though I have to shrink it to a tiny window for it to be at all tolerable.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback