Age of Rifles and other classics…

Started by Jarhead0331, December 10, 2023, 10:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 19, 2023, 01:48:43 PMI couldn't resist, and bought AoR and Tanks! 

Played around a bit with AoR, and was pleasantly surprised that the interface is pretty intuitive and slightly better than some contemporary wargames (IMHO). Graphics is what it is of course...IMHO AoR is better than you might think (the bar should be set for the '90s of course).

I was not as impressed with Tanks!  but oh well...
+1 for all ArizonaTank said. I started to mention the Tanks/AoR difference, but I was not sure if it was not just my style perception.

Download for Tanks - 4.4Mb
Download for AoR - a bit over 400 MB

Must be some graphics improvements in there. Don't misunderstand, Tanks is really OK.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Two month ago I ran across an old three-ring binder containing 3/4" of scenario design pages for Tanks! and maybe a few for AoR. It was shoved back into some box that I had bravely refused to allow my wife to bully me into throwing away even after two moves, deluded that it might someday be useful.

MIRACLES HAPPEN!!!!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Old TImer

Quote from: solops on December 19, 2023, 01:53:29 PM...but both games fill up and look OK on my 17.3" laptop at 1920x1080. DosBox apparently comes with the download and automatically starts up before the game does. It all worked seamlessly for me. Both games have scenario editors and I wonder if the game can be "modded" re graphics.

How may I ask did you get it to run at 1920x1080?
Sorry, I'm old.

Edit:   nvr mind, I actually figured it out.   My grandson would be proud.

ArizonaTank

I haven't yet touched the AoR editors this time around, but back in the day, that was my big attraction to the game.

I even did a very nice Battle of Little Big Horn scenario in AoR. Very accurate, and even had the gatling gun variant. The scenario was so good, that some butt*&#@ even stripped my name out of the scenario notes and posted the scenario as their own work. It then made it into a scenario compilation under the butt*&#@'s name... :knuppel2:   But that was long ago...  :ninjameditate:

So looking forward to playing with the editors again...

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

CJReich46

I never got to play the legendary Age of Rifles. Might want to change that. Price tag isn't too shabby.

However...I am curious about Great Naval Battles- Final Fury though.  But to be honest there is a LOT to chew on here. I mean Tanks! Phantasie, etc...  :buck2:

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

solops

Quote from: gregb41352 on December 19, 2023, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: solops on December 19, 2023, 01:53:29 PM...but both games fill up and look OK on my 17.3" laptop at 1920x1080. DosBox apparently comes with the download and automatically starts up before the game does. It all worked seamlessly for me. Both games have scenario editors and I wonder if the game can be "modded" re graphics.

How may I ask did you get it to run at 1920x1080?
Sorry, I'm old.

Edit:   nvr mind, I actually figured it out.   My grandson would be proud.

Each time you start the game a box pops up with the option to run the game or go to a UI adjustment utility. In the utility there are all kinds of options, including setting the screen parameters. This was NOT part of the original game. That is where I chose 1920x1080. Others might want to know.

Grim.Reaper

Can also press ALT+Enter when the small window shows and will make it the screen.

Grim.Reaper

Dumb question...when on the map, is there any way to zoom in and out?  I know we have the mini map, but with the screen so large, can only see small portion of the map at the same time.  I am guessing the answer is no, but thought I would ask.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2023, 04:35:42 PMDumb question...when on the map, is there any way to zoom in and out?  I know we have the mini map, but with the screen so large, can only see small portion of the map at the same time.  I am guessing the answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Sadly no.  You can use the overview map button in the right menu to get a zoomed out map and jump to an area.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 19, 2023, 05:33:33 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2023, 04:35:42 PMDumb question...when on the map, is there any way to zoom in and out?  I know we have the mini map, but with the screen so large, can only see small portion of the map at the same time.  I am guessing the answer is no, but thought I would ask.

Sadly no.  You can use the overview map button in the right menu to get a zoomed out map and jump to an area.

Thanks.  I don't see a map overview button on the right, only thing I see is a "mini" map at the bottom of the screen where you can see overview, although pretty small and largely unreadable.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2023, 06:30:03 PMThanks.  I don't see a map overview button on the right, only thing I see is a "mini" map at the bottom of the screen where you can see overview, although pretty small and largely unreadable.

Fourth from the bottom going up.  Looks a bit like a compass.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

TheGrayMouser

Hi, first post here. I purchased the GOG version of AoR and spent some time refamiliarizing with the game.  I am now trying to activate Norm Koger's (the programmer)imbedded advanced rules using a command line switch in the shortcut, to no avail. It seems the path goes thru the dos box folder and then several config files..

The original game path and added command at the end would have looked something like c:/Program Files/Age of Rifles/aor.exe oldrules+ .

It made the game significantly harder.

Anyone attempt to activate? ( or even know what I'm referring too ? Haha)

I hesitate to post a link but it's easy to find Norm Kogers home page, go to his games section and click on AoR where he has quite a few sections which dive deep into the mechanics of the game, as well as all the official and unofficial command line switches.  Good stuff in there even if you're not interested in mucking about with advanced rules.  Cheers!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: TheGrayMouser on December 22, 2023, 08:10:17 AMHi, first post here. I purchased the GOG version of AoR and spent some time refamiliarizing with the game.  I am now trying to activate Norm Koger's (the programmer)imbedded advanced rules using a command line switch in the shortcut, to no avail. It seems the path goes thru the dos box folder and then several config files..

The original game path and added command at the end would have looked something like c:/Program Files/Age of Rifles/aor.exe oldrules+ .

I hesitate to post a link but it's easy to find Norm Kogers home page, go to his games section and click on AoR where he has quite a few sections which dive deep into the mechanics of the game, as well as all the official and unofficial command line switches.  Good stuff in there even if you're not interested in mucking about with advanced rules.  Cheers!

Never played the original or with the options you stated, but at least for the Steam version there is a file called rifles-eng-game.conf which contains the startup command line for the game, like below.  You could try putting the option after the line with Rifles.exe.

[autoexec]
@echo off
mount C GAME
imgmount D AgeOfRifles_EN.cue -t iso
config -securemode
C:
CLS
CD RIFLES
RIFLES.EXE
exit

ArizonaTank

Quote from: TheGrayMouser on December 22, 2023, 08:10:17 AMHi, first post here. I purchased the GOG version of AoR and spent some time refamiliarizing with the game.  I am now trying to activate Norm Koger's (the programmer)imbedded advanced rules using a command line switch in the shortcut, to no avail. It seems the path goes thru the dos box folder and then several config files..

Welcome on your first post!!! Keep'em coming!!

I always liked Koger's games because of their in-depth nerdiness.

In terms of being a gritty wargame wonk, Koger's only peer in pc game land is Gary Grigsby IMHO.

My only issue with Koger is that he seems to have dropped out of doing wargames, or games in general. A loss for all of us.

Maybe Koger's experience with Storm Eagle Studios and Jim Rose's toxic approach to marketing and pissing-off customers, left Koger cold? 

Anyway, I seem to vaguely remember the advanced rules switch in AoR. Thanks for reminding me.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.