Age of Rifles and other classics…

Started by Jarhead0331, December 10, 2023, 10:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I have never heard of this 'Dark Legions.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Tried a couple scenarios.
Omdurman was one I remember from 25 years ago.  The Mahdi's forces attacked my entrenched? Brits badly.  Led with cavalry that had been mopped up before infantry arrived.  The southern prong of Mahdi's were militia and they stayed out of range and never attacked.  Northern prong was fairly strong and briefly occupied parts of my line before reserves, gunboats and flanking them sent them reeling.

Ferrozeshah, a Brit attack on a Sikh fortification ended very badly for me.  I turned on most of the advanced rules without really paying attention to what that meant.  Reaction fire changed the game significantly.  Moving or firing on units can draw replying fire from the attacked unit plus other units in the area.  That fire can draw reaction fire from your adjacent units too.  Trying to advance and melee resulted in massive firefights which I'm not sure how to deal with. 

Cavalry was worthless as everyone and their brother shot them to pieces as they approached the entrenchments (yes, I'm not very experienced at tactical battles, it was stupid).  I forgot for a while that you could stack.  Not sure how that vital piece of information fled my brain after playing Omdurman.  I advanced with my troops too spread out and took tons of fire.  Probably should have kept one row of units shielded behind the front lines until I got close.  Also I hadn't bothered to check gun ranges before I advanced.  Also didn't realize that bushes could block sight.  My artillery was dropped off too far away and with blocking terrain in front of them!  My mistakes were multitudinous (don't think I've ever used that word before but it's appropriate).

And Positional Gun (PGUN with little wheels) cannot be unlimbered without full movement points.  So move to position, next turn you can unlimber, third turn you can fire.  Fortunately, they are long range with minimal dropoff (maybe 50% max at 20 hexes) so drop them outside enemy range.  Once again know your weapon ranges!

Senex

There were a ton of user-made scenarios and campaigns made for AoR.  And mirabile dictu I still have them.  Much of it can be found at https://archive.org/details/wargamer-depot_age-of-rifles