supreme ruler 2030 worth a buy?

Started by rss334, December 22, 2023, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rss334

I have been in search of a complex war game / geopolitical simulator that will allow you to do things like maintain a lead in the market on certain resources while sabotaging, waring, or diplomatically ruin your enemy to knock them out of the market.   Also a game that would allow you to research techs such as air power, then strategically knock out the opponents airfields and related industrial capabilities so their advances in air would either be stopped or hindered giving you air dominance on the battlefield and in the markets.  In addition to this some level of geopolitics must be involved.  I prefer WW1 or WW2 content over modern.

I don't really like hex games and the only game so far I've played that even comes close to the above is war in the pacific which is simply more game and time investment than I have and the turns take too long.  Power & Revolution seems great but the graphics & UI instantly turn me off for me and I simply can't play it but may go back to try again.  Warfare & economics looking promising but needs another year of development.  I saw SR2030 and it looks like it might have all of these things above and apparently you can now start in 1914 and not just the future.   

Anyone playing SR2030, can you play it strategically like you would war in the pacific?   Are there other games that allow for the above play styles? 

ArizonaTank

I've always had a conflicted relationship with the SR series...and I have many of the games.

For all the features you mention, I would recommend Hearts of Iron IV. You can get it on sale at a good price now. I also recommend the DLCs, but you can skip them. HoI IV only does WWII however.

If you want to go cheaper, get Hearts of Iron III Collection, but again only WWII

For WWI, you could get, "Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Darkness Game" (based on HoI I). It is optimized for WWII, but also has a WWI scenario. Anyway, on sale under $3, its a steal at that price.

All of the HoI games are pause able real-time games.

If you want turn-based, recommend looking at the Making History Series. But the interface is a bit wonky, and at the end of day is only slightly better than the SR series, IMHO.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Just a quick pointless post.  Darkest Hour is based on HOI2 not HOI1.  It has many features that ended up being added to HOI3.

I tried the earliest SR game and couldn't get past its poor unit control mechanics.

rss334

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 22, 2023, 11:58:19 AMI've always had a conflicted relationship with the SR series...and I have many of the games.

For all the features you mention, I would recommend Hearts of Iron IV. You can get it on sale at a good price now. I also recommend the DLCs, but you can skip them. HoI IV only does WWII however.

If you want to go cheaper, get Hearts of Iron III Collection, but again only WWII

For WWI, you could get, "Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Darkness Game" (based on HoI I). It is optimized for WWII, but also has a WWI scenario. Anyway, on sale under $3, its a steal at that price.

All of the HoI games are pause able real-time games.

If you want turn-based, recommend looking at the Making History Series. But the interface is a bit wonky, and at the end of day is only slightly better than the SR series, IMHO.

Thank you ArizonaTank, sounds like I will try hearts of iron iv.  Years ago I played HOI3 and loved it, when I saw 4 it was such a dramatic change I skipped it thinking they dumbed it down.  I knew that SR 2030 combat was not the greatest but was hoping to hear someone had a good experience with the rest of the game making up for it, but based on your response and what I see elsewhere it's kind of meh ....  The new 2030 version I read run great but still plays like all versions prior :(     

ArizonaTank

Hope you like it. The trick for me with HOI IV was never to use the AI to run my war. The game allows you to set directives for your generals, and they will move the actual units. I never really liked the lack of control with that. So I just directly control the units. It means I spend more time giving orders, but it works for me. Other folks love the AI generals.

I stand corrected: Darkest Hour is HOI II, but it is a really well modded version of the game. I still recommend it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Old TImer

For World War One, Ageod's "War to End All War"  with the Breaking the Deadlock mod and some very top secret patches from the Ageod community forum.

For World War Two, can't beat Hearts of Iron 4.

Modern:  a mod called Millennium Dawn for HOI4.  Very very good.