Strategic Command American Civil War

Started by Rayfer, December 26, 2023, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

This is on sale on Steam (I would normally buy from Matrix direct but have a Steam gift card to use). Any thoughts on its current state of play, worth the time and effort?  I had doubts when it first came out but am reconsidering.  Thanks.

GaryMc

It's a mixed bag. It's a fun game, but the entire issue of unit frontage is entirely borked. With only 1 unit per hex (which could be a Brigade, Division or Corps), you'll rapidly end up with a WW1 esqe front stretching from the Atlantic to Harper's Ferry, and others in Kentucky and possibly even SE Missouri.

Rayfer

Quote from: GaryMc on December 27, 2023, 10:39:56 AMIt's a mixed bag. It's a fun game, but the entire issue of unit frontage is entirely borked. With only 1 unit per hex (which could be a Brigade, Division or Corps), you'll rapidly end up with a WW1 esqe front stretching from the Atlantic to Harper's Ferry, and others in Kentucky and possibly even SE Missouri.

Thanks,that's the exact issue that turned me off when it first came out. Disappointing that it hasn't changed.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Rayfer on December 27, 2023, 04:47:41 PMThanks,that's the exact issue that turned me off when it first came out. Disappointing that it hasn't changed.

I had it and returned it.  I echo GaryMc's opinion. 

Strategic Command is, to me, simply not the the engine to represent this era of warfare.  I'd bought it to try the DLC covering the Mexican-American and Spanish-American wars and found it to not even be a little representative of what I'd be looking for in a 19th century wargame. 

Now, for the WW1 and WW2 entries, that's another matter entirely.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback