Author Topic: Disco Elysium?  (Read 712 times)

Offline airboy

• Crossbowman
    • averysgameblog
Disco Elysium?
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »
Did anyone here buy Disco Elysium and play it enough to have a firm impression of it?

This is outside the games I normally play, but it looks interesting.

Offline Pete Dero

• Condottieri
Re: Disco Elysium?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 10:18:46 AM »
I don't have it but I find this a very decent reviewer and he called the game brilliant :

Offline hellfish6

• Equites
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:17 AM »
I didn't get into it at all.

Offline WYBaugh

• Equites
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »
I own it as well and couldn't get into it.  Not sure I can put my finger on just what bothered me with it but it did not click at all.

Offline al_infierno

• Man-at-Arms
  • Giudecca in the hell of unknowing
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 01:39:03 PM »
I never finished it but I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Really fun RPG with great writing.  No combat, which I found to be a breath of fresh air.
It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Offline airboy

• Crossbowman
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
I appreciate the feedback.  I'll keep it on my wishlist and pick it up when it reaches the $5 or so level.  Probably not something I will like, but I might like it a lot.

Offline glen55

• Viking
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »
I'm with the "couldn't get into it" group. I gave it 10 or 12 hours because of the great reviews, but nope.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower