Colonial Pipeline rasomware attack

Started by steve58, May 10, 2021, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Since it was almost running on fumes anyway (wife avoids gas stations if she can), I took this as a sign to run out and top off the car and my gas cans... :-\

Ransom-seeking hackers have broken into Colonial Pipeline, prompting the company to shut one of America's major arteries for fuel delivery.
Colonial's pipeline network serves major U.S. airports, including Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson Airport, the world's busiest by passenger traffic, and experts say regional fuel supplies could be impacted if the pipeline stays shut.

"A one-to-two-day outage is really a minor inconvenience," said Andrew Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates. But by day four or five, he said, "we could see a much greater widespread impact through large areas throughout the mid-Atlantic and the southeast."

Whether the pipeline stays shut that long in turn depends on how deeply the hackers penetrated Colonial's network - and how soon cybersecurity experts can pull them out.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/colonial-pipeline-hack-attack-knowns-unknowns

State of Emergency Declared in 17 States and D.C. after Pipeline Cyberattack
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I've read that many times when a ransomware attack like this happens, the hackers are just paid off to unlock to hacked asset as it is less expensive than trying to unlock it legitimately. I wonder what will happen here.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Filled my gas tank up also this morning. The latest here is a rumor that there'll be a shortage of chlorine because of a chemical plant fire and explosion somewhere. I got chlorine for the pool Friday and the lady at the Pool-Place said there would be no problem with getting the liquid but the tablets maybe in short supply. So, of course today, there's not a single box of the tablets in town. The Panic-Buyers/Hoarders have struck.  :idiot2:  Gas here is $2.80 a gallon, what's it where you are?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

About 3.50 for premium (93). But I fill it maybe once every three weeks.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

$2.69 for regular unleaded in NoVA as of this morning.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

W8taminute

3.39 for super over where I'm at.  I think regular unleaded is 2.89.  This is as of yesterday.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

What are you all complaining about  :-[ ?

In Belgium (and many in the EU are even higher) the price per gallon is around $6.5 and we didn't have a ransomware attack ...

W8taminute

^I know in Canada, our neighbor to the north, the price of benzin is just as expensive as in Europe. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

steve58

Sir Slash

States of Emergency declared in 15, I think, states.  :timeout:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

The nearest Wal-Mart ran out of gas sometime today, but that was probably due to hoarding.

Note to self, fill up just to be safe when I go eat in a minute...  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Colonial has announced it has restarted the pipeline, but normal service will take 'several days'.  Hope so, because stations in my vicinity are running out.  I thought I also read that they were not paying any ransom, so gonna be interesting the next week or two...

Interesting...kill a pipeline, but then say pipe is the way to go?  :idiot2:
At a Tuesday press conference, Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary Jennifer Granholm was asked by a reporter about the "feasibility of using rail cars" to transport fuel across the country as the nation faces a gas shortage from a Russian cyber attack.

The energy secretary said the Department of Transportation was looking into the use of rail cars to transport fuel and that "these are not easy solutions," as there are a lot of variables with rail transportation.

Granholm also said the Colonial pipeline, which runs from Texas to New York and is similar to the recently canceled Keystone XL pipeline, is the premiere way to pump petroleum into communities.

"So this particular area of the country there – this is why we have doubled down on ensuring that there's an ability to truck oil in – gas in," Granholm said. "But it's – the pipe is the best way to go."

https://1010wcsi.com/fox-politics/bidens-energy-sec-says-pipe-is-best-way-to-transport-fuel-sparks-backlash-regarding-keystone-xl-pipeline/

Jarhead0331

People are such assholes. There wouldn't be as much of a problem if there was no panic buying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^+10000000

Interesting that no ransom was paid. Wonder what they did to get it back online...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on May 12, 2021, 05:11:39 PM
^+10000000

Interesting that no ransom was paid. Wonder what they did to get it back online...

My understanding is that the hack did not shutdown the pipeline, rather Colonial, the operator, shut it down out of an abundance of caution. The hack was a ransomware attack targeting Colonial's information and data systems, I believe in order to seize confidential information and records. The hackers then ransom the information in exchange for payment over the threat to publish the material publicly. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18