Pimax Crystal Sim Edition

Started by SirAndrewD, September 29, 2023, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Just fyi for those of you not interested in general gaming, or those that have a system with base stations and controllers, Pimax has released a reduced cost limited edition headset for simmers

https://pimax.com/crystal-sim-flight/

Since I have an Index with base stations and they have the option to upgrade to the headset with the lighthouse faceplate for Steam VR..I MAY have purchased this after I had a nightcap or three. 

:whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Redwolf

Looks interesting. Will that work with the base station and controllers from the original Oculus Rift?

Jarhead0331

I have had such a negative experience with my Pimax Crystal that the thought of a sim version, or any future purchase from Pimax, makes me nauseous.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2023, 05:37:49 PMI have had such a negative experience with my Pimax Crystal that the thought of a sim version, or any future purchase from Pimax, makes me nauseous.

I certainly hope I have a better one and more in line with those that recommended it.

I'll clearly post my impressions. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I finally received my replacement Crystal and I'm pleased to report that I'm much more satisfied. I had a disastrous experience with the first set I received. There was some kind of a defect visible on the display that apparently was coming from the left lens. If i closed my right eye, I would see the defect and if I closed my left eye, the defect would disappear. It looked like a scratch or a piece of dust and although small, it was very apparent and distracting. After removing and cleaning the lens several times with no effect, I finally opened a support ticket, and here is where the real "fun" began.

It would take days, if not more than a week to receive responses to very simple and basic messages. Often times, the responses would be nonsensical. I first attributed this to the language barrier, but then it got so ridiculous that I thought I might actually be communicating with a bot. I mean literally, after weeks of exchanging messages and providing photos of the damaged lens, I'd receive an email saying that the technical team has determined that there is a problem with your right controller and requires replacement (that one made me really angry). I finally got a replacement lens out of them and was shocked when I replaced the lens and still observed the same defect!

During this frustrating time, the new firmware that added FOV, eye-tracking and quad views was released and I was further frustrated when I could not get this to work. There was no eye-tracking on my headset, it couldn't calibrate or run IPD adjustment and there were no IR lights on either of the lenses. Something was definitely wrong with this unit.

After another few weeks of exchanging pointless messages, I finally received an RMA for a replacement headset and it arrived on Monday. This one seems to be working well and there is no defect! The eye-tracking, FOV and quad views really enhance performance.  I went from 47-57 FPS on average to 80-90+ with FOV and quad views.  The image is good and performance is good.  However, it is not a comfortable headset for me and the horizontal FOV is a big disappointment. With Pimax, having an 8Kx, I expected much more. I like the headset overall, but at $1500, in hindsight, I could have done without. I still prefer my Varjo Aero, which I think is still superior overall, and that just had a drastic price drop. I suspect that will seriously damage Crystal sales. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

I actually decided to wait on it.  Your post about your experience and specifically looking for issues spooked me and I got a cancellation rather than risk a return.

I may still get it later but I'm going to hear more reviews once new firmware comes out.  Also the Aero's price drop makes me think Pimax will be forced down the same road in the future. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 03, 2023, 05:36:41 PMI actually decided to wait on it.  Your post about your experience and specifically looking for issues spooked me and I got a cancellation rather than risk a return.

I may still get it later but I'm going to hear more reviews once new firmware comes out.  Also the Aero's price drop makes me think Pimax will be forced down the same road in the future. 

You should do yourself a favor and actually just get an Aero. Its an amazing piece of kit. At the discounted price, it is extremely easy to recommend.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2023, 05:41:23 PMYou should do yourself a favor and actually just get an Aero. Its an amazing piece of kit. At the discounted price, it is extremely easy to recommend.

At its new price point it's where I'm leaning.   The only knock I hear on it is the FOV.  What are your thoughts on that?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 03, 2023, 05:45:02 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2023, 05:41:23 PMYou should do yourself a favor and actually just get an Aero. Its an amazing piece of kit. At the discounted price, it is extremely easy to recommend.

At its new price point it's where I'm leaning.  The only knock I hear on it is the FOV.  What are your thoughts on that?

It feels comparable to the Crystal in the horizontal FOV range. I think vertical FOV on the Crystal is advertised as markedly greater, but it isn't something that I've been overtly aware of. When I first put the Crystal on, I was immediately disappointed with the FOV, but that may have been because of what I was expecting based on the 8KX and not based on comparing it to the Aero or actual specifications.

The Aero is great for clarity, no question that FOV is not its greatest selling point. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2023, 05:54:47 PMIt feels comparable to the Crystal in the horizontal FOV range. I think vertical FOV on the Crystal is advertised as markedly greater, but it isn't something that I've been overtly aware of. When I first put the Crystal on, I was immediately disappointed with the FOV, but that may have been because of what I was expecting based on the 8KX and not based on comparing it to the Aero or actual specifications.

The Aero is great for clarity, no question that FOV is not its greatest selling point.

I actually looked at the FOV and noticed the Aero was actually better than the Index, which is one of its selling points. 

That may be better for me as my head is a long oval and I've never been able to adjust close enough to the Index to even truly use its full FOV.  If the Aero is higher it'll 100% be an improvement over what I have. 

SirAndrewD

Well, in the course of processing my refund my Pimax arrived today....

It also lacked the sim edition faceplate, lighthouse faceplate and earphones.   

I'm going to go ahead and try it, but that's some shifty stuff right there.

SirAndrewD

Well, I'm going to say that so far I'm glad Pimax either through ineptitude or nefarious purpose filled my order despite them acknowledging my cancellation.

I got it installed and tried it out and the clarity and FOV are both absolutely amazing.   Head tracking was good even without the lighthouse, which apparently will arrive tomorrow.  My add on earphones arrived this afternoon separately.

I did let them know that I had received the headset and was deciding to keep it and I'm being issued a $100 coupon for the trouble, so there's that.

I'm also stunned at how light it is.  Now, this is compared to the Index but I was expecting the thing to be a monster but it's a huge improvement over the weight of the Valve set.  It's also easier to adjust. 

Construction leaves a bit to be desired.  Some of it feels frighteningly thin compared to the Index and I exacted a lot of care with it out of nervousness. 

Still, I like it.  It was just the weirdest and possibly most inept purchasing experience I've had on tech items.

Redwolf

Remind me why you wanted to cancel the headset order?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Redwolf on October 13, 2023, 08:25:58 PMRemind me why you wanted to cancel the headset order?

Jarhead's comments led me down a rabbit hole of doing some research specifically into issues with the headset. 

Primarily inability to connect, random disconnects, problems with clarity, broken straps on delivery.  I saw a lot that gave me pause and made me want to reconsider.

So far I've had none of the issues I've seen that's earned the Crystal a low rating overall, except for one moment where it had some issues connecting that was random and does concern me as an isolated incident.

crowdrake

I have a pimax 5k , I found the potatoe view was not that small, the best thing is over my oculus rift that it does not cut out when you need the loo, and the driver has got better. you can play steam games from it ok. but if im honest i dont use it because i never got the controlers, I got it for siming .