Main Menu

Boom! 1780

Started by MengJiao, October 02, 2013, 08:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Here's a very generic battle trying my modifications to the Flying Colors system with a little influence from the Close action system.  There is an additional sail state (two full sails) and changing sails takes a crew check.
Guns can be fired twice at any time, though the second shot requires a crew check and has a potential self-inflicted hull hit.

Here the French in 1780 mode have good crews and are larger and better-gunned.  The RN is just trying to slip by and even has the advantage of an unexpected change in the wind.  But the RN flagship has just taken two broadsides, lost half her rigging and has a fire.

besilarius

Very nice.  Are you considering publishing the rules, or putting them out in some fashion?
Love trying Age of Sail rules if the game play moves nicely.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

MengJiao

Quote from: besilarius on October 03, 2013, 07:20:22 AM
Very nice.  Are you considering publishing the rules, or putting them out in some fashion?

Flying Colors -- the basic rules make an excellent game.  However, the designer says use Close Action if you want more detail.

I changed the Flying color rules only slightly: added a sail state, made it uncertain if you could get in or out of any sail state and allowed two broadsides of any kind -- with the second being only possible after a crew quality (also represents quantity) and possibly inflicting a hull hit on the firing ship (more kick from hot guns, more accidents etc.)

That's about it.

There are a few other points worth considering:

1) Flying Colors simulates actions earlier than 1794 better than Close Action because -- Flying Colors explicitly includes earlier type ships (such as the rather flimsy RN 74s Orion, Hercules and Invincible in the above action) in the Ship of the Line expansion.
   PS: I checked on this and Flying colors has pre-1794 ships in the base game -- but they are there and Close Action doesn't really cover pre-1794 stuff very well ,whereas Flying Colors not only covers it but has an expansion to cover more of the 18th Century
2) Flying colors has some oar-power rules ( much bigger in the next expansion which will show the Swedish and Russian galley war in the Baltic)
3) Flying colors has a less definite time scale and I'm stretching it to get more speed in the top sail state and one extra broadside
4) Fleet control was much more chancy than either game allows -- hence the crew check for sail state changes which can result in formations coming apart even faster than the games allow -- so I probably need some kind of more complex ship-out-of -command rules

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 03, 2013, 10:24:45 AM
Quote from: besilarius on October 03, 2013, 07:20:22 AM

Flying Colors -- the basic rules make an excellent game.  However, the designer says use Close Action if you want more detail.

I changed the Flying color rules only slightly: added a sail state, made it uncertain if you could get in or out of any sail state and allowed two broadsides of any kind -- with the second being only possible after a crew quality (also represents quantity) and possibly inflicting a hull hit on the firing ship (more kick from hot guns, more accidents etc.)

And the below image shows why you don't close the enemy flagship under full sail unless you expect to be backed up very well very quickly:  both flag ships are crippled in the rigging, though their guns are fine and they will go on pounding with the action left to be decided by the other ships.  Which in this case means the French win since the RN was trying to get past them.