The Zone of Interest

Started by al_infierno, March 30, 2024, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Streamed this last night. Incredible film, somewhat bizarre. Far from entertaining -- more haunting, creepy, and absurd like a black comedy without any jokes. The plot is like something out of a drama or a romcom, turned absurd by the horrific acts happening just outside the frame of the film.

It's a fascinating choice not to show what's happening in the camp. It's vivid in its sound design, so the screams and gunshots are always in the distance. In a way, it relies on the audience's outside knowledge of Auschwitz to fill in the gaps of what the POV characters are willfully ignoring. All those liberation photos are in the back of your mind while Rudolph Hoss and his family go about the banality of their daily lives, pillars of black smoke rising in the background of their beautiful gardens while the kids laugh and play. The few glimpses we do get of Jewish characters are straight up horrifying. The ending was powerful while leaving a lot unspoken.

Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in WWII and the Holocaust, which I imagine is everybody on this board. Just go in with the right headspace and treat this more as a horror movie than something traditionally entertaining like Schindler's List.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on March 30, 2024, 02:00:15 PMWhere'd you stream it?

Amazon Prime! I think 6 bucks to rent.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Toonces

I read an article on the Atlantic interviewing the person that directed the sound in the movie.  Very interesting.  Haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds like you're describing exactly what the director was going for.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Heard alot about it. It's on my radar.
Alba gu' brath