Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Same thing with SGT Wilkerson, and look how that turned out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jo B

Playtest is running.
gathering player feedback.

devoncop

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 11, 2022, 09:43:25 AM
Sorry. Something about blowing the pooh out of little European villages gets me worked up.  :D

Is that you Vladimir  ?  ;)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

GDS_Starfury

Slash lost me at blowing the pooh out
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

Well I didn't want to say shit because some people are sensitive to that kind of shit. Opps..Said it twice.  #:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Feels like old times, suddenly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 12, 2022, 10:14:05 PM
Well I didn't want to say shit because some people are sensitive to that kind of shit. Opps..Said it twice.  #:-)

Holy fuck, we can say shit?
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

But not, 'Dongle'. That's below the belt.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Thomas Davie

On Steam, a question was asked if Second Front would have a 'random map generator'. The reaponse was that 'no...it does not make sense to this game'.

Why? It's equivalent to incessant doodling for me or of getting vast replayability without having to out in a lot of effort. I'm not sure that I'm interested in editing maps honestly. It rather reminds of board SL/ASL where you have terrain overlays. One of my friends took it to an insane degree; a 5x9 ping pomg table i. A studio apartment covered with a giant city map.

For him, he would have loved to create, edit and place units on the maps.

Is there a technical reason why this can not be done?

I've been playing Civilization, pretty much daily since October, 2001. Last time I did not play a random map was with Civ 3 (Ancient Mediterranean).

Please Jo, I'd pay a little bit extra.

Tom

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Thomas Davie on July 22, 2022, 12:35:22 PM
On Steam, a question was asked if Second Front would have a 'random map generator'. The reaponse was that 'no...it does not make sense to this game'.

Why? It's equivalent to incessant doodling for me or of getting vast replayability without having to out in a lot of effort. I'm not sure that I'm interested in editing maps honestly. It rather reminds of board SL/ASL where you have terrain overlays. One of my friends took it to an insane degree; a 5x9 ping pomg table i. A studio apartment covered with a giant city map.

I've been playing Civilization, pretty much daily since October, 2001. Last time I did not play a random map was with Civ 3 (Ancient Mediterranean).

Tom

Random map generator absolutely makes a superior tactical game. I still regularly play Combat Mission X1 series just because of the great random map generators. If they did it 20 years ago, no reason why it can't be done today.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

Tom

Yea, that's deal breaker for me. I love having that option. I'll still buy this game, but I'll wait for a sale.

Jo B

Tom

well Civilization, a good example. fight is per adjacent hex.
in Second Front you have a fight on unlimited range.
The usual workflow to create a scenario is this.
- create a map and finalize the LOS. (for creating own maps there is a place random woods at start option. just for that, the map is not empty.)
- place units of both sides for a specific date. and one or more victory locations.
- playtest this a bit. on that you find some line of sights you not want to have.
- adjust the map. and playtest again.
- then try to reduce the number of units for faster better gameplay.
- then upload to steam workshop.

on the playtest we saw a bunch of scenarios with maps created by playtesters
and also could see that their later creations get better and better with more experience of the designer.
(a lot can be done wrong on map and scenarios)

what you want is like a MS-paint program that creates art when someone hits the 'make art button'
This might be possible for a kind of Civilization game with not many important terrain types. 
in SF this would result in something strange and odd.

I bet, you will find a bunch very unique and individually created scenarios with own maps,
where designers spent a lot of time of thinking and playtesting into.

Thomas Davie

@Jo I respect your opinion, but I would rather rely on the designer of the game instead of purchasers of the game to give me the featureset that I would like.

Steel Panthers
Combat Mission

Those two games are definitely not adjacent hex combat games. I am not sure that has any bearing on  my like/desire for the capability of randomly generated maps. Adjacent hex combat or not, I do like these types of scenarios that are randomly generated and actually tend not to play designed scenarios.

regards

Tom

Tom

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Thomas Davie on July 24, 2022, 10:40:24 AM
@Jo I respect your opinion, but I would rather rely on the designer of the game instead of purchasers of the game to give me the featureset that I would like.

the history of user based maps, levels and mods far outstrips developer based content.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.