Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

you 2 have my favorite avatars of the month!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

^  Are you going to join the rest of us yahoos in getting into this game, btw?  Or are you still enthralled with Shogun 2

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 20, 2014, 06:39:13 AM
you 2 have my favorite avatars of the month!
Ha, thanks!  Coming from you, that is no small praise.  :coolsmiley: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Im Gus deep in STW2, NTW and the original RTW with the Alexander expansion.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

That's pretty deep. Watch your ankles.

No one has beaten Star's avatar yet, IMHO. Some have come close...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Parthia Uber Alles: a cultural win.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 05:04:08 PM
Parthia Uber Alles: a cultural win.

Wow.  Wonder how a world under Partha would be like.

Gusington

But...Rome remains!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 22, 2014, 08:43:02 PM
But...Rome remains!!

Rome was insignificant.

It has some wealth, but wasn't really worth worrying about. I was having more issues (seems to be a problem in the game and in history) with the northern tribes. Crushing them was my first goal. I ended up triggering the victory before I had wrapped them up and shifted my attention to the Etruscans, who had been presumptuous enough to declare war on me but then do nothing about it.

After the Etruscans Rome was probably inevitable.

Interestingly, I've found that fulfilling the economic victory conditions doesn't trigger a civil war.

There's something about the victory provinces for military victory that triggers civil war. Avoiding those, or fulfilling those provinces last after all other conditions have been fulfilled, seems to be key to avoiding civil war.

I'm tempted to paint the entire map purple just to see what happens.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I recently restarted a campaign as Rome/Cornelia to see what all the new stuff added and can confirm that the campaign is now Tough-Mother. Remember the Etruscan speed-bump? It's now a brick wall with spears and the Celtic tribes to the north are real bit-cheez that'll bite you in the ass if you're not careful. And that's on the normal difficulity level. Overall the campaign's much more of a challenge and a lot more fun.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 23, 2014, 12:35:56 PM
I recently restarted a campaign as Rome/Cornelia to see what all the new stuff added and can confirm that the campaign is now Tough-Mother. Remember the Etruscan speed-bump? It's now a brick wall with spears and the Celtic tribes to the north are real bit-cheez that'll bite you in the ass if you're not careful. And that's on the normal difficulity level. Overall the campaign's much more of a challenge and a lot more fun.

Except maybe not so much for Parthia.  Parthia is a very different animal in the new Emperor "DLC".  I found that, once I quit chasing the Steppe barbarians (I let them take a province or two and then the Satrapies went after them), and wiped out Armenia and Judea (both rather tough), then Anthony was not too much of a problem since that part of Rome gets into trouble all over the place.  The Parthians rolled right across the Balkans making friends fast with all of Anthony's barbarian enemies.  Near Rome I stopped and decided to wait for Attila!

LongBlade

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 22, 2014, 08:51:49 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on October 22, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Is that a double-dog-dare?

Because I don't do regular old dares.

I'll take that as a yes.

OK, now only the outermost fringes of the known world lie beyond Parthia's grasp.

Gusington

Eek well that didn't take long.  I shed a tear for what was Rome.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 23, 2014, 01:28:04 PM
Eek well that didn't take long.  I shed a tear for what was Rome.

I told you they were insignificant. I actually sidled up to four of their five cities and then went to war, wiping them out in three or four turns.

The Nervii were far more of a problem.