Main Menu

Korean War

Started by JudgeDredd, January 26, 2024, 03:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Does anyone have any recommendations on books about the Korean War?
Alba gu' brath

bobarossa

For a small unit action, The Last Stand of Fox Company
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Fox-Company-Marines/dp/0802144519
80% give it 5 stars.  The company kept the retreat path open for the Marines at Chosin Reservoir.  I highly recommend it!  I've read a couple of overall books but they don't stand out in my memory like this one.

JudgeDredd

Thank you. I'll check it out.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

matt3916

This Kind of War by  T.R. Fehrenbach.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 26, 2024, 04:15:37 PMChosin: Heroic Ordeal of the Korean War, by Eric Hammel

https://www.amazon.com/Chosin-Marine-Divisions-Heroic-Ordeal/dp/1612007880/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1706303636&sr=8-1

QuoteThe definitive account of the epic retreat under fire of the 1st Marine Division from the Chosin Reservoir.
Don't they mean Tactical Withdrawal:grin:

Thanks
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: matt3916 on January 26, 2024, 05:12:21 PMThis Kind of War by  T.R. Fehrenbach.
Thanks.

This one is out of my price range for books. We all have limits of things, right?  :huh:

I've got The Korean War by Max Hastings and The Last Stand of Fox Company. I'll get a birthday request in for the Chosin book.
Alba gu' brath

Sigwolf

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 27, 2024, 02:56:08 AM
Quote from: matt3916 on January 26, 2024, 05:12:21 PMThis Kind of War by  T.R. Fehrenbach.
Thanks.

This one is out of my price range for books. We all have limits of things, right?  :huh:

If you do digital, Amazon has the kindle version priced at $2.99 right now.

nelmsm

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 27, 2024, 02:47:39 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 26, 2024, 04:15:37 PMChosin: Heroic Ordeal of the Korean War, by Eric Hammel

https://www.amazon.com/Chosin-Marine-Divisions-Heroic-Ordeal/dp/1612007880/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1706303636&sr=8-1

QuoteThe definitive account of the epic retreat under fire of the 1st Marine Division from the Chosin Reservoir.
Don't they mean Tactical Withdrawal:grin:

Thanks

Actually I think the Marine General in charge just described it as "advancing in another direction" since they were having to fight their way out.

Toonces

This Kind of War is very good.

The Coldest Winter was good, but I didn't finish it so take that with a grain of salt.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

matt3916

JudgeDredd -- Good grief!! What in the world is Amazon.UK doing?  I concur the prices they're charging for This Kind of War are absurd.  Do you Brits do interlibrary loan?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: matt3916 on January 27, 2024, 06:08:26 PMJudgeDredd -- Good grief!! What in the world is Amazon.UK doing?  I concur the prices they're charging for This Kind of War are absurd.  Do you Brits do interlibrary loan?

You should be able to find cheaper copies at abebooks.com

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

There are 4 used copies available from UK bookstores at biblio.com between $20 and $35 US.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: matt3916 on January 27, 2024, 06:08:26 PMJudgeDredd -- Good grief!! What in the world is Amazon.UK doing?  I concur the prices they're charging for This Kind of War are absurd.  Do you Brits do interlibrary loan?
We get ripped of for everything. You should see the price of board games!

There are other outlets tbf, as pointed out by Arizonatank and bobarossa
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sigwolf on January 27, 2024, 09:23:07 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 27, 2024, 02:56:08 AM
Thanks.

If you do digital, Amazon has the kindle version priced at $2.99 right now.
I do do digital - and actually prefer it, however, I don't do digital for books that have maps and/or images because Kindle doesn't render them well.

So basically I prefer a physical book for my historical reading.
Alba gu' brath