"Six Days in October" -- Organizational Post

Started by Cyrano, September 19, 2016, 10:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

It's almost like I pay you guys.

Let the rules roll-out begin.

One of the great joys of this game as a command simulation is the requirement that communication:
1.  Proceed through official channels (i.e., the umpire using orders)
2.  Observe the proper chain of command

With respect to the former, as suggested in a different post, once the initial orders are issued, commanders ought to speak to one another ONLY when they are within close proximity of each other.  I will inform them when they are.

With respect to the latter, matters are more challenging.  The French side is simple enough -- Napoleon is in supreme command and will be expected to draft general orders for his corps.  Each corps commander will then have responsibility to order his divisions.  On the Prussian side, Brunswick is the nominal commander -- the King said so and even rode himself with Brunswick's forces.  Hohenlohe and Ruchel, however, were completely convinced of their abilities and each had proposed alternative strategies to those eventually adopted in the campaign.  As for Blucher, he's got his independent AG, but I am also recommending to Brunswick that additional detachments be assigned to his command.  It's historical in the first place and, in the second, there's a real need for the Prussians to divide up command or the armies will become unwieldy in battle.

Now, I am NOT encouraging the Prussians who are not Brunswick to screw around with the plan eventually arrived at by him.  In this, they will have an advantage over their historic counterparts.  To keep matters accurate, though, I will expect him to engage in a hearty consult with his Prussian colleagues.  If it is rancorous, so much the better.   I will also certainly grant more latitude to those commanders on the Prussian side given to what we call freelancing.

Please keep the e-mails coming!

Next rule message will concern leaders and troops!

Jim

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bob48

I hope not to do anything silly as Ney. I don't want to finish up with a red face.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

I shall endeavor to persevere in comporting our strategy in a manner befitting my random assignment to this endeavor. Or better!  O:-)  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Duke of Earl

Cyrano

PLEASE KEEP THE E-MAILS COMING!  MISSING MOST OF THE PRUSSIAN TEAM, AT THE MOMENT!

So, let's discuss leaders and troops.  This is Marechal Bernadotte, Commander of the French I Corps:

He holds the distinction of being the one Napoleonic commander to be made a king whose heirs remain on the throne he won for them.

As with much else in this game, the statistics are simple:

1.  His "Strategic" rating indicates how many divisions he can command in battle before his abilities begin to decline if, in a particular battle, he finds himself in overall command.  If commanding 1-4 divisions, he grants a "0" die modifier.  If he commands more than 4, however, he receives 1 fewer die.

2.  His "Tactical" rating indicates how many dice he adds (in this case 0) if he is available as a commander in one of the sectors of a larger battle.

3.  The years indicate those campaigns in which he participates.

Now let's talk about a couple of Bernadotte's divisions:

1.  That at the top is Drouet's Third Infantry Division.  It is comprised of six "effectives" which are measured in units of 1,000, so Drouet has 6,000 men.  It is important to note here that this number will alter dramatically during the course of the campaign -- from marching just as much as from battle.

2.  Drouet's men have a morale of 35 which is a bit above average for line infantry.  Elites are typically rated at 40 and the Old Guard and a few other very special units make it to 50.  This number also will vary dramatically and the reduction of your opponent's morale is the number one objective of this game.

3.  Drouet's men have an experience of +1 (the number in the red circle).  This is a scale of -2 to +2, so these are experienced troops.  This has an effect on the fatigue caused by road marching as well as in battle.

4.  The division at the bottom is Tilly's cavalry division.  Everything is as Drouet's division above except that Tilly has 2,000 cavalry rather than infantry.  This effects how far from the unit Tilly is able to see while on the march.  It also has a dramatic effect on pursuit after combat -- in the Napoleonic era, armies deficient in cavalry could not turn localized victories into the Niederwerfung von Clausewitz sought.

Next time -- The Business of War, or, A Day in the Life of a Napoleonic Commander.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Oh, I guess I do have a question: why is Drouet's infantry flag yellow and Tilly's cavalry flag pink, with the shades corresponding to tactical and strategic (respectively)?

Cyrano

1:  OK, how do I make pictures less scroll-y?

2:  Just a convention VdA uses to distinguish between Cavalry and Infantry.

Jim

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on September 22, 2016, 11:33:30 AM1:  OK, how do I make pictures less scroll-y?

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=9496.msg241431#msg241431

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 07, 2014, 03:28:42 PM
How to size / scale

{img}url to image{/img} <-- actual size of image
{img width=xxxx}url to image{/img} <-- scales image so that width="xxxx" and the height adjusts accordingly
if you click on the image, it expands to full size; click again to return to scaled size

I usually scale at around 800px or so

replace the {} brackets with their straightened equivalents
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

You can also use a height=xxx command the same way. Not sure if the forum engine allows both at the same time...?

Usually adjusting width works better than height. I think I typically use 1024 width, although for those I used 900.

panzerde

The pink is because the French cavalry are ponces.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

dom

Email sent from the reserve.
Sorry... missed this post.

dom

Cyrano

Quote from: panzerde on September 22, 2016, 05:39:09 PM

Says Napoleon's own paladin...who died by some account in Napoleon's arms.

panzerde

Quote from: Cyrano on September 22, 2016, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: panzerde on September 22, 2016, 05:39:09 PM

Says Napoleon's own paladin...who died by some account in Napoleon's arms.

I didn't say that they weren't brave ponces. And don't you go judging Lannes! He was ahead of his time!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

I promise to leave all dead commanders on the ground where they lay. I may declare, "That is a beautiful death," as I pose nearby in the sun on my white horse like one of the Apocalypse Riders, but that's all.