FoGII Medieval AAR Tripoli (Anglo Saxons) v. under_score (Scots)

Started by Tripoli, March 01, 2021, 07:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

With under_score's permission, I'm going to post a quick AAR of our recent tournament game.  I'm playing the Anglo-Saxons, and under_score is the Scots.  Our armies are fairly evenly matched.  My armored spearmen are better than his protected spearmen. My cavalry/Huscarls are less numerous, and inferior quality to his cavalry/Knights.  My plan is to anchor my right flank against the woods, and try to get behind the Scot left flank and attack his troops in the rear.  under_score wanted to
screen my cavalry and get a breakthrough on my right flank, near the forest, correctly guessing my  mounted units would circle around his right flank, but hoping to get my right to crumble first.

Turn 2 Anglo-Saxon Right flank

Turn 3 Anglo-Saxon Left flank
My cavalry is advancing to start the flanking move.  I'm refusing my right.  My spearmen in the center are advancing to quickly engage the Scot center and left to support the cavalry move. However, the rough ground in the center will put my troops at a disadvantage. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

Turn 4 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

The Scots begin to develop their attack on my right.  My troops there will not be able to withstand his cavalry, so my attack on his right will have to quickly collapse his flank.

Turn 5 Anglo-Saxon Left Flank

I've just about got the Scot right flank turned.  However, with only 4 cavalry units, I can't delay by messing around with the Scottish infantry. 
That may cost another turn before I can get my limited cavalry arm into action, which could cost me the left flank.  I'm hoping that my slow moving infantry on my left flank can close the distance and engage the Scots, tying down their forces.  At this point, one of my skirmishers has routed.

Gusington

How are you finding the Anglo-Saxons? Fun to play? Hoping to eventually find an Anglo-Saxon campaign, modded or otherwise.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Turn 7 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

The Scottish Knights are just about in position to hit my right flank.  It will not hold very long.  The first sacrificial victim is going to be the skirmisher who is trying to attrite the Scottish pikemen.

Turn 7 Anglo-Saxon Center

Another of my skirmisher units routs, while the remainder of my skirmishers safely make it to the rear.  The center of the armies collide, and one of my spearmen units immediately disrupts on impact with a Scottish Knight.  However, the superiority of the Anglo-Saxon armored spearmen over the ScottishHighlanders is quickly established, with a Scottish unit fragmenting on impact.

Turn 7 Anglo-Saxon Left
Meanwhile, on the left flank, another Scottish spearman is disrupted, and the Anglo-Saxon Huscarls are in position to attack the rear of the Scottish army

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on March 01, 2021, 08:27:45 PM
How are you finding the Anglo-Saxons? Fun to play? Hoping to eventually find an Anglo-Saxon campaign, modded or otherwise.

Any side that doesn't like Haggis is okay in my book.   :)  Seriously, the armies are fun.  This was my first try at an Anglo Saxon army, but it was fun.  It is different than FoG II ancient armies..  Not nearly are professional or balanced as many their ancient counterparts, and it seems there are fewer types of units.  But the medieval game is fun.   Knights in the game are tanks.  They role over just about anything. 

Tripoli

Turn 8 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

The Scots begin the attack on the Anglo-Saxon right, but the woods anchoring the right flank help the defenders by crowding out the charge of the Scottish Knights.  Still, the spearmen on the Anglo-Saxon right will not be able to hold out long.

On the left, a Scottish spearman routs, but a Scottish Knight is rapidly chewing up one of my Spearman units, fragmenting it this turn.  A single archer is available to plug the gap that will be created when it routs.

Turn 8 Anglo-Saxon Left Flank

Tripoli

Turn 9 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

A Scottish Pikeman fragments, and is pulled out of the line.  However, one of my spearman is disrupted.  My right flank will then collapse in short order. 

As expected, the Scottish Knights charge my Huscarls, who evade.  Fortunately, in the game Knights are likely to pursue, instead of hold their position.  The pursing Scottish knight dislocates the block he was creating,  allowing a second Huscarl to charge a Scottish cavalry, which evading was pursued by the Huscarl, which is now behind the Scottish lines.  A completely lucky turn of events for the Anglo-Saxons.....

Turn 9 Anglo-Saxon Left Flank

In the center, my fragmented spearman manages to hold on.  A reserve unit moves to block the hole that is about to be torn in my line.  Fortunately, my spearman are working on creating a breakthrough in the Scottish center, where a single fragmented Scottish spearman is about to give way....
Turn 9 Anglo-Saxon Center

Tripoli

The Scottish Knights hit my right flank, immediately fragmenting my spearman.  Seeing their comrades fragment, the spearmen unit on their left decide fragmenting is what all the cool kids are doing, so they also fragment.  Fortunately, I have a flank attack on a Scottish Pikeman.  Of course, that knight charging into my flank is a bit steep of a price to pay for this bit of fun, but I might as well have my right flank collapse in a blaze of glory....

Turn 10 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

In the center, a charge in the rear of a Scottish Infantry unit routs it, ripping a hole in the center of the Scottish line, just in time to save my disrupted spearman, who was about to be overwhelmed. A second Scottish infantry unit on the left routs, opening the Scottish right flank to my spearman.

Turn 10 Anglo-Saxon Center

Tripoli

On turn 11, my right flank goes bye-bye.  I won't be able to repair it, although I might be able to delay my ultimate defeat there.  This is because the Scottish knights (as knights tend to do in the game) go chasing after my routing spearmen, instead of rolling up the remainder of the flank.  These knights will be out of the fight for at least 3 turns as a result.

Turn 11 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

On the left, the Anglo-Saxons have a series of flank charges that disrupt some more of the Scottish units.  At this point we call the game as an Anglo Saxon victory. 
Turn 11 Anglo-Saxon Right Flank

under_score

It's a good battle report, nothing to correct really.  Just want to add for anyone unfamiliar, when units are engaged in melee, you can view what the predicted odds are.  Although casualties were pretty close between the armies, every matchup was unfavorable for my Scots by this point, with unit dispositions dropping everywhere.  With my knights uncontrollably chasing down irrelevant troops, it hardly seemed worth prolonging the slaughter!

Enjoyed the battle Tripoli, well played.

al_infierno

Nice AAR!  Thanks for posting.  Makes me think I should do the same, but I don't tend to plan my turns out so much as I just move stuff around and see what happens.  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao