Main Menu

Site Housekeeping

Started by Jarhead0331, January 12, 2023, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

88mmkwk

I must admit that I do miss the previous start view I had that included the most recent unread posts in a top window followed by the categorized forum list in a second window right below it.  This allowed me to quickly determine if there were any new posts I hadn't read - if not - quickly nav to the Computer Games section if nothing showed up top.  Can still accomplish the same thing in the new look/feel, just have to separately click to do so.  Not a show stopper - just a change to something I was previously comfortable with and found handy....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

88mmkwk

Also, the non-collapsible and non-movable links section on the top of the forum page takes up prime real estate, and after having been on the forum a while, having it always up top is less than ideal IMHO if it can't be collapsed...
Gaming Rig:
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD

Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

88mmkwk

So I'm "Kinda" finding Grog areas I like that got moved around with the site revamping, but find it a bit scattered.  Some unsolicited thoughts after a bit of time in the new dimension:

• Latest Posts - Used to be in a top window on the page and was where I always looked first before.  Now, the closes section I can find is in the "GrogHeads Forum - Info Center" panel which is unfortunately located on the very bottom of the page and cannot be moved higher on the page.
  • Favorite Sections - Really wish we could "pin" favorite sections to appear up top...
  • Favorite Threads - Similar to Favorite Sections, wish we could flag certain threads to always appear up top unless they are later unflagged.
  • Easier editing - I am having to edit this list in code vs. visual editing.  BGG used to be the same way, but you can now edit lists and tables inline visually vs. code.  Wish we had that same capability.  One year after a Matrix sale I tried to put up a table of what I bought and found it to be much more work than I had hoped for....

Anyway, just a few thoughts even though nobody asked.....
Gaming Rig:

Jarhead0331

^Your first point is a priority of mine. I loved that recent post index at the top of the page. Unfortunately, that functionality was afforded by a modification and the author of the mod has not updated it since 2019 and it is no longer compatible with the current version of the forum software. We are looking at options and other possibilities, but in the end, the benefits of having updated the forum software FAR exceed the inconvenience posed by the loss of the recent post index.

All that being said, we are working on it and it is a personal priority of mine.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Users can click the 'Unread Posts' option in the top left and while it's not automatic, it's one click away.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2023, 06:06:11 PMUsers can click the 'Unread Posts' option in the top left and while it's not automatic, it's one click away.

Using the unread posts as always but it does take you to page one of the thread not the end - I know it's only another button click

Father Ted

Well that came out of the blue!  Liking it!

GDS_Starfury

and you dont have to spend $8 a month on a blue check mark!  :ThumbsUp:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

I've made the Links section collapsible so if you don't like those cluttering the top of the page, you can close them out. Hopefully this helps.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

The format for embedding youtube videos seems to have changed and videos posted before the forum update appear to be broken.

To embed a video, simply get the share link from youtube as previously and click the youtube button in the tool bar. Paste the link into the pop-up box and the code will automatically be written into the post. The url will look "off" but it works.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Yeah, the new site engineers will have to do a search for all {youtube} codes which have http: in them, and replace with only the id part of the code (or delete the code up to the id).

If that's even possible.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 15, 2023, 10:55:17 AMYeah, the new site engineers will have to do a search for all {youtube} codes which have http: in them, and replace with only the id part of the code (or delete the code up to the id).

If that's even possible.

That isn't going to happen at the hourly rate we're paying the "new site engineers". If you need to fix a youtube link in one of your posts, we humbly ask that you do it yourself.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

kludger

New site is looking great, also the new css now works with Dark Reader extension for dark mode, the work is much appreciated.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: kludger on February 01, 2023, 02:16:06 PMNew site is looking great, also the new css now works with Dark Reader extension for dark mode, the work is much appreciated.

Thank you for saying so.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sigwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2023, 02:43:15 PM
Quote from: kludger on February 01, 2023, 02:16:06 PMNew site is looking great, also the new css now works with Dark Reader extension for dark mode, the work is much appreciated.

Thank you for saying so.
Yes, and I, for one, have been remiss in saying so, as well.  My initial post was negative about the brightness.  That issue still stands, but Dark Reader has alleviated that. I would still love a native dark mode, but the overall improvements to site functionality have been fantastic.  The forum operation is really smooth now.