Six Days in October - The Consolidated Dispatches of Marshal Lannes

Started by panzerde, May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Also, the corps (especially the cav corps) were sending out cav divisions ahead of the main body, each of which has a larger inherent scouting radius around its central 'position', than what the Prussians could detect in return, so it would in fact be possible (depending on how aggressively the marshals managed their scouting divs) to find your advanced scouts a substantial time before main forces arrived in your area. If I recall correctly, Murat was sending probes out through yellow and orange passes as he rode by heading for red pass (the far western one), one or two of which he detached to keep tabs on anything spotted until the other corps caught up, and then sent word back with command transfer to the other marshals on his wing.

We shuffled divisions around in command like that with some frequency, and had our cav divisions ranging out ahead by no small measure 'scouting in force'. Heck that's how I got so far ahead by myself with the Imperial Guard at Schleitz! I myself ended up attaching one of Murat's divisions to my ad hoc direct command, late in the game. I still have no clear idea how I got it. Cyrano was sending me messages from Klein (a non-player character) and I couldn't understand why I was getting them or what was going on.  #:-)

I may or may not have totally forgotten I had Napoleon's trademark artillery city trailing around behind me somewhere.  ::)

(...I, uh, may or may not have also mislaid a couple of detached divisions which were left behind picketing our LoCs...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

{checking my notes}

Yeah, I received a courier from Murat at 1am Oct 12, sent at 1pm Oct 11th, that his probes through the passes spotted your advanced guard (based on insignia seen through scopes) at Ohrdruf, Barth, but not where your corps was yet. He detached two divisions (one for each pass south of you I expect) to keep an eye on you in case you moved south, with intentions to hand those divs off to other corps as they approached the passes, while Murat traveled on to the westernmost pass south of Eisenach.

So you were seen by Murat's scouts sometime before 1pm Oct 11th (because naturally they took some time courier-ing back to him), and he passed that information on to Lannes (Panzerde) as a matter of course. But Murat had pushed those cav up quickly ahead of his somewhat-slower moving corps (because I didn't want the corps to get too fatigued racing to position -- we had plans in case the Prussians beat us to the passes. I wasn't surprised to hear Barthheart's crew were first detected -- no doubt preparing for an opportunity counter-blitz, as usual. ;) )

I should add that it's a little hard to comprehend just how fast the French cavalry could travel compared to everything else. The couriers didn't travel any faster!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

I actually had no intention of attacking through the passes.... I was all alone and had no idea how much of your army was coming my way. Ohrdruf was just a lookout to see what, if anything, was coming my way.

Just as I spotted your advance troops, I got an order to withdraw Erfort then move north from there... until everything went to hell....  ;)

panzerde

To Marshal Murat
(believed near Meiningen, moving north)
From Marshal Lannes (encamped about 12km north of Meiningen, about to move to ORANGE)
My esteemed colleague,
As per your last dispatch, I will resume my march toward the pass designated ORANGE. I anticipate reaching the objective around noon or a little later. Once arrived, I will send Foucher's cavalry out to screen toward Ohrdruf, and send patrols in that direction to locate the enemy. If possible, Foucher will make contact with the divisions you have left to observe Ruchel's Advance Guard.
My infantry will encamp in defensive positions just to the north of ORANGE and rest the remainder of the day. If we draw Ruchel's troops down on us, I intend to hold ORANGE until relieved by yourself and M. Davout. However, in the event that Ruchel moves to retreat from the Ohrdruf position, I will advance with my corps to maintain contact. If this should happen, I will attempt to bring on a general engagement with Ruchel's Advance Guard division and destroy them.
I will look for d'Hautpol's division to join my infantry at ORANGE this afternoon.
Lannes
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

I had the maps all posted a day early, due to some variance/confusion as to how we were doing dates at the start of the game. I've corrected them as of this evening, which should help Barth's blood pressure.  ;)

panzerde

To Marshal Davout
(believed about 15km north of Hilburghausen, moving north)
From Marshal Lannes (encamped about 12km north of Meiningen, about to move to ORANGE)

M Davout,

I will shortly resume my march toward the pass designated ORANGE. I anticipate reaching the objective around noon or a little later. Once arrived, I will send Foucher's cavalry out to screen toward Ohrdruf, and send patrols in that direction to locate the enemy. If possible, Foucher will make contact with the divisions Murat left to observe Ruchel's Advance Guard.

My infantry will encamp in defensive positions just to the north of ORANGE and rest the remainder of the day. If we draw Ruchel's troops down on us, I intend to hold ORANGE until relieved by Murat and yourself. However, in the event that Ruchel moves to retreat from the Ohrdruf position, I will advance with my corps to maintain contact. If this should happen, I will attempt to bring on a general engagement with Ruchel's Advance Guard division and destroy them. I will send you a dispatch if I am moving to engage Ruchel's Advance Guard, and request that you move to support me.

Murat is sending  d'Hautpol's division to join my infantry at ORANGE this afternoon.

Lannes

panzerde

DISPATCH -- Foucher to Lannes, 1000, 12th October

SENT 0900, 12th October

My Lord Marshal,

Beg leave to report that our piquets have spotted the presence of enemy cavalry in the village of Ohrdruf.

Holding for your orders.

S!

Foucher

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to Foucher - 1000

General Foucher,

Maintain observation of  the enemy forces in Ohrdruf. Attempt to ascertain their strength and the position of any enemy infantry. Seek to make contact with Murat's divisions operating in the area. Inform me of any new estimates of enemy size and position, and the disposition of Murat's forces.

Screen the main body of the corps from observation by the enemy.

Do not seek to engage the enemy. However, if attacked, you are to skirmish with the enemy, and continue to screen the main body. Inform me if attacked, and if forced to fall back on the pass.

As per my earlier orders, inform me immediately if the enemy forces move from the their current positions, particularly if they begin to retreat.

Lannes

panzerde

To Marshal Lannes
(believed to be on the Meiningen - Eisenach Road, heading north)

My Dear Colleague,

My cavalry piquets have observed Prussian cavalry in the village of Ohrdruf. I have ordered General Focuher to continue to observe this force, attempt to discover more of the enemy dispositions,  screen the main body of my corps, and attempt to make contact with your divisions in the vicinity.

My main body will continue to move toward ORANGE.

Lannes

panzerde

To Marshal Davout
(believed to be on the Hilburghausen - Ohrdruf Road, moving north)

My esteemed M. Davout,

My cavalry piquets have observed Prussian cavalry in the village of Ohrdruf. I have ordered General Focuher to continue to observe this force, attempt to discover more of the enemy dispositions,  screen the main body of my corps, and attempt to make contact with your divisions in the vicinity.

My main body will continue to move toward ORANGE.

Lannes

panzerde

DISPATCH -- From Control, 1300, 12th October

Marshal Lannes,

Pleased to inform you that Division D'Hautpol has arrived at and been tendered to you service!

S!

panzerde

General d'Hautpol,

Greetings on your timely arrival.

Please move your division through the pass designated ORANGE into a position to support Foucher's division in screening the main body of V Corps. Attempt to ascertain the strength and the position of any enemy forces in the area. Seek to make contact with Murat's divisions operating in the area. Inform me of any new estimates of enemy size and position, and the disposition of Prussian forces.

Do not seek to engage the enemy. However, if attacked, you are to skirmish with the enemy, support Foucher's Division and continue to screen the main body. Inform me if attacked, and if forced to fall back on the pass.

Inform me immediately if the enemy forces move from the their current positions, particularly if they begin to retreat. Move to maintain contact with any enemy forces on the move.

Lannes

panzerde

Lannes to Foucher, 1300 12th October

My good general,

Be advised that the cavalry of General d'Hautpol has joined the corps and is moving through ORANGE to support you. General d'Hautpol has been tasked with providing your division with support in the event of an enemy attack. He is also to assist you in screening the main body from observation by the enemy.

Continue with your earlier orders. Inform me of any new estimates of enemy size and position, and the disposition of Prussian forces. Inform me immediately if the enemy forces move from the their current positions, particularly if they begin to retreat. Move to maintain contact with any enemy forces on the move.

Lannes

panzerde

SENT 0800, 12th October

To:  Marshals Murat and Lannes

From: Marshal Davout, in a midge-infested dell about 15km north of
Hildburghausen

Marshal Murat: If your primary concern is that General Ruchel might
escape, then it would be best if we continue moving with all dispatch.

As a result, unless you countermand the order, I will move to YELLOW
pass today.  If developments permit a rest day I will use it on the
13th but I will expect to move northwards on the 14th.

Do you have an intimation of the direction of his withdrawal - north or east?

If our objective is to prevent his force from linking up with the
Prussian main body, then it would appear my objective would be to pin
him at Ohrdruf while moving to ensure he cannot move eastwards from
Gotha; I become the anvil while you and Marshal Lannes form the
hammer.

This maneuver is enhanced if I tun out to draw his attention, and thus
my moving first, should it so transpire, should not discomfit our
arrangements.

Death and Confusion to the enemy!

Marshal Davout

panzerde

SENT 1100, 12th October

To: Marshalls Lannes & Murat

Fellow Marshalls, I have received word from my cavalry division that
they have reached the southern part of YELLOW.

I await your orders to wait or press on tomorrow.

- Marshal Davout