Main Menu

Diablo 3

Started by Bison, May 15, 2012, 01:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

SoM you still playing a Witch Doctor?  I'm pretty curious how the skill tree plays out for that class at mid to high levels.

My monk is turning into a bad mofo.  I've managed to find a couple of rares that match the class pretty nicely.  What I really need is some better chest and leg armor. 

Kushan

A friend and me beat the end boss on normal tonight, now on to nightmare difficulty.

How are you liking the monk Bison? I played very little of it during the beta.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Bison

I love the class.  It needs some work IMO on the attack graphics to incooperate equiped weapons.  It's sort of weird I had a pretty decent bo staff I was using, but the attacks were always done with my fists.  Carry the staff when running but put on back to fight.  It's a little silly.  The monk skill tree is right up my alley.  Some healing, mantras and pretty decent crowd control attacks (mostly push backs but it does the trick to clear off a swarm).  I love the seven direction attack.  Teleporting around to seven targets and hitting them is awesome.  They are pretty squishy though.  If you get caught in a swarm and cannot clear them with a push back or charge, it can get ugly quickly.

spelk

I'm still just taking baby-steps with the game.

But my highlights are

Demon Hunter with Rapid Fire, drop calthrops, and mow them down. I never thought I'd see the day Diablo had a machine gunner!
Monk with multi-direction long reach attacks, blind them and pummel them down.. I can even heal myself a little!
Witch Doctor... attacks by throwing Jars of Spiders! That's it, hellhounds and jars of spiders, I can't imagine wanting anything more! Apart from Jumping Spiders!

I like how the Witch Doctor plays outside of the action, laying carpets of crawlers.. the ultimate arachnid zerg! :)

The only thing I miss is the deliciously rendered FMV cutscenes, eyecandy that Blizzard used to pour on us every story break in D2.

Bison

My current favorite tactic with the monk is using sweeping wind (which does continuous damage and is mantained with each enemy I attack and hit), while attacking with crippling wave and then pulling in the stragglers with cyclone strike.  It's fantastic.  The problem I'm really having now is my max spirit point level is too low.  I'm sitting at around 150 which is not much at all when you consider that my big hitting attacks cost 75+ and most all are in the 50 point range.  So 2-3 spirit costing actions and I'm out until I re-charge the pool.  I had an item that boosted it, but I must have swapped it out and sold it.  I'm sure I had some sort of stat logic at the time, but danged if I can remember.

Nefaro

Quote from: spelk on May 17, 2012, 03:09:18 AM

The only thing I miss is the deliciously rendered FMV cutscenes, eyecandy that Blizzard used to pour on us every story break in D2.

There are FMV cutscenes in D3.  Are you not seeing them?  ???

I've only played Witch Doctor thus far.  While many of their skills are entertaining, the most effective I've been using most of the time is Poison Dart (w/ 3 at a time burst rune), Fire bats! (either the short range flamethrower or Dire bats for long range) - Go To skill there, Soul Harvest for big damage buff and some heal/mana gain, and lastly Gargantuan pet with it's AoE attack.

The other stuff is just too slow to kill - all those little spiders and exploding frogs take awhile to get to their targets and even then they don't do much damage.  The basic Poison Dart attack (with the first rune) does more single-target damage than any other skill the WD has, and does it much faster than waiting for your frogs/spiders to walk/jump to their targets and do the measly 19% weapon damage per hit.  I'm a bit disappointed that the fun ones are underpowered, their only one advantage being that you don't have to stop for long to launch them.  :-\

If any of you get that f'd up graphics lag, after playing awhile, I've found that alt-tabbing out of the game a couple seconds - and then back in - has fixed it for me in the past.  Someone posted other graphics card manual settings that supposedly help, but I don't feel like downloading 3rd party crap for mine to do so.

Gusington

Still waiting for my copy to be shipped...:/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on May 17, 2012, 02:08:54 AM
SoM you still playing a Witch Doctor?  I'm pretty curious how the skill tree plays out for that class at mid to high levels.

My monk is turning into a bad mofo.  I've managed to find a couple of rares that match the class pretty nicely.  What I really need is some better chest and leg armor.

The WD is a fantastic AOE and DOT master. He doesn't do the burst damage of the Wizard or the Monk, but he makes up for it with a being able to damage multiple enemies. I'm having a tough time deciding if I want to use the unpredictable but high-damage exploding toads as my main weapon or the "homing" spiders that supplement my Zombie dogs and I don't have to worry about targeting (leaving me free to target with skills like Fire Bats or Haunt, both of which are high damage - Fire Bats is burst, Haunt is a DoT).

But the real kicker and possible "cheat" button is the WD's Soul Feast skill. It is a PBAoE (player-based area of effect) that creates a 30 second "buff" for ever enemy caught in it. The buff increases intelligence, primarily. What this means is that my Int-based increase to damage goes from 60% to almost 200%! That is an amazing damage boost!

Quote from: spelkApart from Jumping Spiders!

Actually, leaping spiders is the very first rune you get! Those suckers leap 25 feet, which is like half the screen!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

I've been playing a Demon Hunter and enjoying it. I love how the bow sounds like a gunshot. I'm not sure why that's so, but it's pleasant to hear more that just a "twang" for a report.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I'm getting slightly annoyed that I don't have this yet and that it hasn't even shipped. Should I just cancel and buy it digitally like the rest of humanity?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2012, 02:52:56 PM
I'm getting slightly annoyed that I don't have this yet and that it hasn't even shipped. Should I just cancel and buy it digitally like the rest of humanity?

Yes.

Punish the unbelievers!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

How long does the DL take? Forever this week, I'm guessing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I think an hour or two depending on internet speed.  I downloaded my 3 weeks ago, so I don't remember exactly.  I do know that it was sitting on my hard drive just waiting to be installed on release day.