Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Homeworld 3 Trailer
Last post by Destraex - May 28, 2024, 10:38:07 PM
Well it seems the Homeworld3 devs are looking at changing some aspects of their game after feedback. One change has them considering adding hyperspace in skirmish. Another larger maps for skirmish. Yet another tech tree complexity.

Now consider that fig backers answered surveys detailing what they wanted years ago and that the demo got a lot of feedback as well not so long ago. So I am guessing the devs knew what to fix but had to wait until release.

I also noted the devs seem to be fixated on hw3 being about terrain and seem reluctant to create larger maps that have little terrain.

Fingers crossed. Company of Heroes 3 managed to turn things around somewhat and hopefully so should Homeworld. Company of Heroes 3 funnily enough did this after returning it's full attention to PC and away from console.
Homeworld 3 still worries me when the first or second screen I see says "press any button to continue" when it should say key and their is no reason it should have this screen at all. It seemed to me to be a dead give away that the game was made with a console controller in mind.

Current Events / Re: Tragic Loss of Pilot and W...
Last post by al_infierno - May 28, 2024, 04:48:00 PM
In addition to endangering historical treasures, it seems unnecessarily risky for the pilots to fly in almost 100-year-old planes for the sake of a show.  I agree with you AT, it makes way more sense to use modern reproductions.
Current Events / Re: Tragic Loss of Pilot and W...
Last post by Redwolf - May 28, 2024, 04:38:04 PM
Saw this on facebook. RIP.

As far as flying vintage aircraft, let's wait for the investigation. If it was engine failure on takeoff - well that happens to single engine GA planes quite often. It just doesn't get reported as widely as a D-Day Spitfire crash.
Military (and other) History / Re: Just another day at the of...
Last post by Tripoli - May 28, 2024, 03:53:51 PM
Yeah, the Ike Skeleton collection has been a big help for the BoC project.  My current project is to try to get a CMBN AAR of the first scenario of the "Blue and Grey" campaign done by 5 June.  The scenario portrays the attack of the video of the 1/116 on DOG GREEN.  The game scenario is basically unwinnable, as it was in real life.  To make it both interesting and as a memorial on the 80th anniversary of D-Day, I've decided to present the  actual information the troops had going ashore, and to make my moves based on that.  Hence my recent foray to the Ike Skeleton library.
Quote from: Tripoli on May 27, 2024, 11:15:02 AMSource:  "Report on Beach Intelligence, Operation OVERLORD, June 1944", pg. 91, https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p4013coll8/id/4395/rec/19

I love the CGSC Ike Skelton online library. Full of great gems. Great find Tripoli!
Current Events / Tragic Loss of Pilot and WW2 E...
Last post by ArizonaTank - May 28, 2024, 02:14:01 PM
A WW2 era Spitfire and the pilot were lost on Sunday.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28153105/raf-pilot-spitfire-crash-planes/

Of course, the loss of the pilot is a tragedy. And in this case, he seems to have been a good conscientious pilot. May he rest in peace and his family find solace. 

I know this makes me a stick in the mud...but I really wish they would not fly these original aircraft. There are plenty of workshops capable of producing excellent reproductions to feed the public's desire to see them in action. IMHO, we don't need to keep endangering these historical treasures.

I don't think they are necessarily more dangerous than other aircraft, but every time one goes up, there is a very small chance it will be lost.
Last post by bobarossa - May 28, 2024, 11:44:06 AM
And he was having a Thrill!
Wonder what the shutter time was to get clear images at that speed?
Last post by Tripoli - May 28, 2024, 08:32:54 AM
Just think: the guy flying that aircraft was probably doing around 400 mph.  My guess is he was probably around 24 years old (although the average age was 21-22).
Last post by Gusington - May 28, 2024, 08:00:13 AM
Holy crap it's like 15 feet in the air  :shocked:
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Civil War
Last post by Sir Slash - May 27, 2024, 10:05:11 PM
I thought it was pretty much a waste of time too.