Rhodesian Cover Shooting

Started by bayonetbrant, July 13, 2012, 01:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Excellent article about adapting a bush-warfare technique to digital games.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2012/07/rhodesian-cover-shooting-bullet.html

QuoteThe Rhodesian Cover Shooting is a fire tactic used with the objective of "killing the enemy without seeing him or locating his exact position first." Not suppressive fire, not "spray and pray" but rather a fire oriented at likely enemy positions which are chosen by the shooter based in his knowledge of the tactics, procedures and shortcomings of the adversary. This type of fire is widely known after its use by the Rhodesian Light Infantry to fight terrorists in the bushes during the Rhodesian War.

Go read and check out the screenshots.  A very good analysis of how a real world tactic does/n't work in a digital game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Awesome.  Thanks for posting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Yes, thanks for sharing it. I tried to read the pdf linked in the story but all I got was a blank page. Very frustrating. I said to my self "Self, this will not do..." so I was able to track down a clean link and added it to my google docs. Oddly enough, after that I was unable to create a working link to post. I have the PDF if anyone needs it though.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys