Killers of the Flower Moon

Started by al_infierno, October 20, 2023, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Just released in American theaters yesterday.  Just grabbed a ticket to see this tonight.  Really looking forward to it as I've heard nothing but good things.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Yeah I have read a lot of good buzz on this as well. Post impressions!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Gonna have to evaluate the movie once I get a chance to watch it in a proper setting. Worst theater experience since the time I sat down in a puddle of piss back around '09.  Pretty sure the rear speakers were disabled cause I could hear the HVAC and Taylor Swift songs in the next theater over better than I could hear the f#@!ing dialogue of the movie I was actually watching.

I have to tell you guys that there's nothing more viscerally uncomfortable than hearing Love Story muffled in the next room while Leo DiCaprio comes to terms with his complicity in the murder of his wife's family.

Edit - To elucidate my thoughts a bit - the movie as a whole was beautifully shot and constructed, and I'm a proponent of rewatching being the real watching, but somehow the first go just didn't really land for me.  I can't help comparing it to Oppenheimer in terms of star-studded historical epic dramas from this year, and I think Cillian Murphy as Oppy was a much more immersive and dynamic experience than Leo as a rather pathetic Ernest Buckhart.  Lilly Gladstone gave a powerhouse performance, but she barely had any screen time in the third act.

Overall I just felt Oppenheimer delivered with a momentum-fueled third act -- despite it basically being a dry legal drama -- with one of the most incredible and memorable finales and ending lines of recent memory.

"I believe we did" is an ending line up there with "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

But KOTFM just had kind of a clunky meta ending that was basically an artistic version of one of those "so and so went on to do this and died in 1946" endings, except it was notable because Marty Scorsese himself showed up in this weird meta ending that felt like a commentary on the limitations of the film itself, it being a piece of art told by white people about indigenous struggles.  I feel like I'll warm up to it on a rewatch, but on first view it just felt heavy handed and ham fisted.

Oppenheimer retains my Movie of the Year status.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I can't really get past 'puddle of piss.'

I love a lot of Scorsese movies but as you mention they can be - not the smoothest as far as storytelling.

You have further reinforced my commitment to never go to a theater again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd