Clad in Iron: Philippines 1898 recently released

Started by em2nought, November 21, 2017, 11:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

totemgam

Steam achievements are now live in Clad in Iron: Philippines 1898!

We have prepared for you a collection of 24 achievements: for the capture of important harbors, for the destruction of the strongest enemy ships, for the successful use of mines and torpedoes, for improving the experience of your infantry and ships.

Now you will be able to track your progress in the game and record important milestones, and also show your level of skill to our gaming community. We hope they will encourage people to get the most from the game!

Philippe

One of the things that has put me off from this series is the lack of historical scenarios.  The alternate scenarios can be very interesting, but the 19th century and early 20th century subjects are just obscure enough that it's a pain to have to research where the dividing line between history and fantasy actually falls.

Rumors to the contrary, historical wargaming is all about what-ifs.  But to enjoy them, you need to establish a base line.   If you make a game about the opening of the Waterloo campaign, the elephant in the room is what would have happened if Reille's corps had been fully commited at either Quatre Bras or Ligny.  If you only make the two what-if scenarios (full commitment at Ligny and full commitment at Quatre Bras) you leave the player frustrated because there's nothing to compare the what-ifs to.  Similarly, the elephant in the room in that later part of the campaign is what would have happened if Blucher hadn't shown up at Waterloo (or what would have happened if Blucher and Grouchy had shown up at Waterloo).  Once again, if you only make the two what-if scenarios but leave out the historical one, the player can't understand the message because there's no point of comparison.  He also can't get a handle on how accurate and/or credible the game system is.

A lot of people are probably more inclined to buy a game about a history-related subject if they aren't asked to suspend disbelief before they jump in.  What that means in practical terms is that you should include a few historical scenarios, even if the chess problem they present is trivial or the outcome is boring.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

totemgam

Thank you for expressing your opinion. It is worth considering. As for the scenario of this game, the initial overwhelming superiority of the American squadron did not give the Spanish side any chance. In this situation, you can not play for Spain, and playing for America does not present any difficulties. Game theory teaches that in this case it is impossible to make a game. The game is still not just a mechanical routine to destroy a helpless enemy. As far as I remember, only the cruiser Olympia was enough to win the Manila Bay. More than 70 percent of hits in the Spanish ships were on the quick-firing cannon from Olympia.

totemgam

I wanted to ask about the scenario of the confrontation between the German and British destroyers in the English Channel in the Great War (1914-18). I just finished reading a book on this topic (Dover Patrol) and I think this topic is interesting.

RyanE

I would love to see a Jutland game that covers most of the North Sea battles.  Even if its done in a main game engine with modules to add large orders of battle.

totemgam

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Let life in the new year be better than in the past! I wish you happiness and good luck!

P.S. Save 33% on CLAD in IRON: Philippines 1898

Gusington

Thanks for all the posts Totenham, and your patience. The discount beckons 👍

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mkivcs

Given the commitment shown by the developers on here to continuous improvements in this series the discount is a clincher. Off to add it to my steam collection. Love the idea of the WW1 Dover patrol type game suggested. Definitely would prefer to keep it to a small number of light units as I don't think this approach works well for a large battle. I would suggest that quite a number of additional environmental effects would need to be added for atmosphere, not much sun in the north sea!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Yup. I have the whole series now. $10 was definitely the sweet spot on 1898 Philippines for me. Thanks for posting some comments from our forum on the store page too!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

totemgam

Thank you, your support and your opinion means a lot to us!

Just keep in mind that our old games are already very outdated and will no longer be updated. Its not our fault. We have finished cooperation with the Strategy First publishing house, which sells these games. But we provide technical support for old games. If we could, then the old games would be distributed free of charge, but the publisher has a different opinion.

totemgam

We started work on a new scenario about the Russo-Japanese War. Events will take place in a remote and now forgotten theater of military operations on Sakhalin, the Kuril Islands and Kamchatka in 1904.