What food can you absolutely not stand?

Started by agrippamaxentius, August 06, 2015, 12:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agrippamaxentius

For me "Mushrooms" and "Eggplant" are equally awful in terms of texture, otherwise I have a pretty wide palate. I also can't stand liver "pate" although being Portuguese I could eat Sardine Pate all day, yes you heard that right... Sardine Pate. Delicious.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

bayonetbrant

I skip liver (about the only meat I won't eat)

I can't stand the taste of cucumbers, cauliflower, or asparagus.  I don't mind smaller tomatoes, like grape or roma, but I can't stand the texture/sliminess of the huge beefsteak tomatoes that restaurants like to put on their hamburgers.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Onions. Despise them utterly. Have a hard time eating anything with even a hint of onion. Been like that since I was a kid.

I'll eat pretty much any other veggie, but onions make me wretch.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm with Brant on tomatoes.  I hate anything phlegmy.  Raw tomatoes, runny eggs, okra, oysters, sea urchin, natto etc.  They all make me queasy.   

I'll try just about anything once though.  I've been served some rather unusual and unpleasant dishes in my travels but there have only been a few that I just couldn't bring myself to try.  I've eaten different insects but I just couldn't stomach the idea of biting into a pus-filled fried tarantula in Cambodia.

I also couldn't do shirako in Japan.  It's basically a bowl of fish sperm and jizz sacs.

I also really don't care for tripe at all.  Not a fan of most sweet meats.  If I have to eat organs and intestine lining, I'd prefer that it be in a sausage.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Hhhmmm, my culinary dislikes would include liver, brains, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, squash, most seafood (exceptions would be tuna and shrimp).

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 06, 2015, 06:38:35 AM
I'll try just about anything once though.  I've been served some rather unusual and unpleasant dishes in my travels but there have only been a few that I just couldn't bring myself to try.  I've eaten different insects but I just couldn't stomach the idea of biting into a pus-filled fried tarantula in Cambodia.

^Now that looks like something Martok could stomach  >:D
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Bananas and Campari - not necessarily together

And I don't fancy those duck chicks still in their eggs you can get

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 06, 2015, 06:38:35 AM
I'm with Brant on tomatoes.  I hate anything phlegmy.  Raw tomatoes, runny eggs, okra, oysters, sea urchin, natto etc.  They all make me queasy.   

I also couldn't do shirako in Japan.  It's basically a bowl of fish sperm and jizz sacs.

I also really don't care for tripe at all.  Not a fan of most sweet meats.  If I have to eat organs and intestine lining, I'd prefer that it be in a sausage.
Good god that looks awful! I also am not a fan of "Tripe" being half Portuguese its pretty popular in Portugal but I won't go near the stuff. The smell alone makes me sick.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AgrippaMaxentius For Scourge of War, Combat Mission, Ultimate General Gettysburg and countless others.

agrippamaxentius

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 06:06:31 AM

I can't stand the taste of cucumbers, cauliflower, or asparagus.  I don't mind smaller tomatoes, like grape or roma, but I can't stand the texture/sliminess of the huge beefsteak tomatoes that restaurants like to put on their hamburgers.
I'm so surprised by all the people who dislike cucumbers, to me it's like the most tasteless veggie possible. Is it the texture of the seeds or the flavor itself?

bbmike

Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 06, 2015, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 06:06:31 AM

I'm so surprised by all the people who dislike cucumbers, to me it's like the most tasteless veggie possible. Is it the texture of the seeds or the flavor itself?

For me it is the taste.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

I like most veggies with the exception of brussel sprouts.

I am not big on animal organs of any kind but bring on the ribs, loins, etc.

I like most seafood but I will usually pass on oysters. Crab and shrimp are at the top of the list.

I'll take everyone else's cucumbers if you don't want them.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Atilla60

Celery!
Any way, shape or form, I just hate it
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Staggerwing

I loath the nasty Cherry flavoring that is used in candy and cough syrup. Also Maraschino Cherries.

I'm not a fan of Broccoli, Cauliflower, or pickles either, though I'd eat them long before anything with that nasty industrial cherry product flavor.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 06, 2015, 08:15:32 PM
I loath the nasty Cherry flavoring that is used in candy and cough syrup. Also Maraschino Cherries.

I'm not a fan of Broccoli, Cauliflower, or pickles either, though I'd eat them long before anything with that nasty industrial cherry product flavor.

But you need Maraschino cherries to make a Manhattan!  ;D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak