Von Rundstedt report on D Day

Started by besilarius, September 05, 2019, 06:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Very cool. Reads like a guy trying to cover his ass.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 05, 2019, 10:52:45 AM

That's the feeling I got as well.

Con

Quote from: Barthheart on September 05, 2019, 11:01:11 AM

That's the feeling I got as well.
I think he was more worried about trying to cover his head from a bullet in the back of it

Michael Dorosh

Just seeing this now.

I don't get that impression from Rundstedt's report. I think one has to realize that he was frustrated at the inability to control his own reserves, and probably at the lack of air power assigned to his command. He properly points out the difficulties of movement in daylight with the complete lack of air cover.

He's not that convincing when he mentions the Allies failed to surprise them, but here too, rather than ass-covering, I think he's making the subtle point that he wasn't given control of his own reserves (Hitler controlled the panzers and didn't release them until hours after the landings when it was broad daylight in Normandy and practically impossible to move). Thus the opportunity to stop the lodgement was lost. Remember that it was Rommel who thought a "stop them at the waterline" defence was possible. Rundstedt had always advocated for a mobile defence. Whether his tanks could have actually done anything even if under his control is debatable, but that wouldn't stop him from claiming it was true. Note the emphasis on how successful the Allied bombardment was on the German shore defences. Rundstedt had argued with Rommel over how extensive these should be.

Rather than covering his ass I think in context, the document is more of a "I told you so" on a massive scale.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 03, 2020, 01:57:42 PM

Rather than covering his ass I think in context, the document is more of a "I told you so" on a massive scale.

That is sort of the same thing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2020, 01:59:20 PM

He wouldn't have felt he did anything wrong, so there would be nothing for him to cover up. He's doing the opposite, in fact. Long before the invasion he was vocal about how Rommel had completely the wrong plan, and also opposed Hitler's direct control of his reserves. The report highlights - subtly - that he had been right, and both Hitler and Rommel were wrong.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on April 03, 2020, 02:03:31 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 03, 2020, 01:59:20 PM

He wouldn't have felt he did anything wrong, so there would be nothing for him to cover up. He's doing the opposite, in fact. Long before the invasion he was vocal about how Rommel had completely the wrong plan, and also opposed Hitler's direct control of his reserves. The report highlights - subtly - that he had been right, and both Hitler and Rommel were wrong.

Just because he is "covering his ass" does not mean that he felt he did anything wrong. The definition of the phrase is literally to "foresee and avoid the possibility of attack or criticism." I stand by my impression. That is how it reads to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog