Just Plain Goodness: Neerwinden as Nature intended it

Started by MengJiao, January 29, 2024, 02:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Well, er so...here's the middle of the setup.  The French have a preponderance of everything (command, superior and more numerous cavalry, more artillery, more infantry) EXCEPT field fortifications and defended villages.
Historically it was a French victory but so costly as to trigger a lot of responses such as no battles so big for 15 years despite an even bigger war (Spanish Succession) and some innovations by the British such as the Union with Scotland and battalion guns and better (3-rank) platoon fire.  Note that at Neerwinden, the English fought under the Cross of St. George and the Scots under the Cross of St. Andrew -- no Union Flag.

Anyway here goes:

MengJiao

Okay so, 8am, after an hour of fighting, William III rolls for the first wing activation and well...he's going to try to follow up on some bad French Accidents involving artillery, the Brandenburgers and the Spanish Cavalry.  A large Swiss French Brigade routed and maybe throwing in some Bavarian and Dutch Cavalry will turn the tide:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 29, 2024, 09:09:58 PMOkay so, 8am, after an hour of fighting, William III rolls for the first wing activation and well...he's going to try to follow up on some bad French Accidents involving artillery, the Brandenburgers and the Spanish Cavalry.  A large Swiss French Brigade routed and maybe throwing in some Bavarian and Dutch Cavalry will turn the tide:

So by 9am, the French are starting to wear down the defenders, but the defenders still have a lot of punch with thier cavalry, though the guns have pulled back in at least one spot.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 02, 2024, 11:52:03 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 29, 2024, 09:09:58 PMOkay so, 8am, after an hour of fighting, William III rolls for the first wing activation and well...he's going to try to follow up on some bad French Accidents involving artillery, the Brandenburgers and the Spanish Cavalry.  A large Swiss French Brigade routed and maybe throwing in some Bavarian and Dutch Cavalry will turn the tide:

So by 9am, the French are starting to wear down the defenders, but the defenders still have a lot of punch with their cavalry, though the guns have pulled back in at least one spot.

by 10:30 at that same angle in the line, the French overrun some artillery and things start looking bad for the Allies while in the center Churchill's brigade routed and on the French Left, the Spanish cavalry overran some artillery...So things are slowly falling apart for the allies despite their inflicting heavy losses on the French which is what happened historically.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 10, 2024, 10:03:49 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on February 02, 2024, 11:52:03 AM

So by 9am, the French are starting to wear down the defenders, but the defenders still have a lot of punch with their cavalry, though the guns have pulled back in at least one spot.

by 10:30 at that same angle in the line, the French overrun some artillery and things start looking bad for the Allies while in the center Churchill's brigade routed and on the French Left, the Spanish cavalry overran some artillery...So things are slowly falling apart for the allies despite their inflicting heavy losses on the French which is what happened historically.

By 11 am both sides have punched far enough to overrun more artillery:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 11, 2024, 12:48:06 PMBy 11 am both sides have punched far enough to overrun more artillery:

But a little later and the French have big problems on the flanks because I went along with Luxembourg's
central attack scheme and William III has been rolling well and Lux has rolled well tactically, but really
bad grand tactically.  I might have to shift the huge Guards brigade off to one flank or another.  But with Lux's luck, even that might not do the trick.

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on February 23, 2024, 09:11:10 AMNow this is gaming goodness.   :ThumbsUp:

I'm not much of an attacker against myself (solitaire).  I think I pushed the French too hard cross the board.
Around noon, everything went wrong:  the Guards got thrown out of Neerwinden, one flank was barely holding on and the
the Bavarian Cavalry smashed the whole left wing, which I thought was okay.  But no.  So I am giving up on winning
Neerwinden historically for the French.

W8taminute

^For some reason this game seems to me like a good learning tool.  You experimented with pushing the French attack too hard and learned some things.  The other games you've played involving naval war were also good teaching devices. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on February 25, 2024, 06:36:05 PM^For some reason this game seems to me like a good learning tool.  You experimented with pushing the French attack too hard and learned some things.  The other games you've played involving naval war were also good teaching devices. 

Yes.  This game really tries hard to drive home the weirdness of late-seventeenth -- early eighteenth century warfare in Western Europe.  I'd never heard of the battle of Neerwinden before for that matter.