Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Second Front (in Developme...
Last post by Sir Slash - Yesterday at 11:13:12 AM
I may have been too harsh. Looking at videos of the game, it kind of brings back memories of Steel Panthers WWII, the version of the game with individual vehicles and squads. Mostly because of the Turn Phases. And that game could be a real pain to deal with because the AI in large scenarios could take forever to take it's turns. And not being able to save when you wanted to could kill your game. I'm assuming this won't be an issue in this game so, I'm willing to wait on the consensus. Also I'm willing to bet the Modders will find ways around the Unlocks if they are able to legally.  :justice: 
Computer Gaming / Re: Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnou...
Last post by Sir Slash - Yesterday at 11:02:04 AM
That is great Captain K. And accurate as well.  :Applause:
Computer Gaming / Re: Nuclear War Simulator
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Yesterday at 10:42:48 AM
I played the play by Mail nuclear game....but think my country was destroyed like in the first week or two so was short lived:)
Last post by solops - Yesterday at 09:55:14 AM
Still on sale for $27.99! Ends Feb 1.
Last post by Gusington - Yesterday at 09:43:03 AM
 :2funny:
Computer Gaming / Re: Nuclear War Simulator
Last post by solops - Yesterday at 09:22:41 AM
I have been messing with this since well before it went to Steam and it is way cool. Matrix has a similar offering from the guy who did Polaris Sector called ICBM. It is much more of a game and has more national management tools but less nuke exchange details. Sigh....brings back the good old days, hiding under my school desk, etc. One of my favorite games was Nuclear Destruction. It was a play-by-snail-mail only game that we played back in the early, early 1970s (late 60s?). It required a moderator to whom we would all mail our turns for processing. He would then mail the results back. It was a big deal when a company called Flying Buffalo computerized the processing part, but we still had to mail turns and results back and forth. Good times... end of the world as we know it and all.
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by Tripoli - Yesterday at 09:08:12 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on Yesterday at 08:27:37 AMSpeaking of downplaying Wagner: is that Group even a thing anymore? I haven't been where I can keep up with their shennanigans, but I recall them taking boocoos of losses in the past few weeks,...

Wagner has taken huge losses in the conscript portion of its force, in (I believe) an effort to attrite and/or prevent the reconstitution of Ukrainian forces.  It also has mercenaries who are better trained, some of whom operate their more sophisticated gear (such as aviation assets).  I'm not sure what the losses of these forces are, but I assume they are substantial as well.

One data point that might give some insight into the current status of Wagner: In the NYT article "To Fix Its Problems in Ukraine, Russia Turns to the Architect of the War" https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/us/politics/russia-generals-ukraine.html there is this paragraph: "Gen. Valery V. Gerasimov, the architect of President Vladimir V. Putin's invasion of Ukraine, took over the day-to-day running of Russia's war effort this month...Since General Gerasimov replaced Gen. Sergei Surovikin, who was in the job for only three months, Russia's military leadership has focused on tactical issues...Promoting General Gerasimov, U.S. and other Western military officials say, was intended to both deflect criticism of the war effort from the military bloggers and to check the rising power of Yevgeny Prigozhin, the head of the mercenary group Wagner that has spearheaded the bloody Russian offensive at Bakhmut in the Donbas. Mr. Prigozhin has also been a staunch supporter of General Surovikin. "The recent shake-up in commanders of the war effort seems like the result of political infighting and cronyism," ... "
Computer Gaming / Re: Battlefront’s 2023 look ah...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Yesterday at 08:57:01 AM
That is my suspicion as well, but guessing being tied to matrix has helped as well and would guess that matrix required steam.

In any event, I am in agreement.....would prefer more content and new versions by a landslide.
Computer Gaming / Re: Second Front (in Developme...
Last post by JasonPratt - Yesterday at 08:46:15 AM
Do they refer to the German side as "Nazis"? I can't recall, but if not, that may be due to requirements for a proper European market for the game. In which case, it would bother my OCD (I mean OD-C!) to call the Nazi side "Germans" but the Soviet side "Soviets".

Not enough to avoid the game. ;) I understand realpolitik marketing.

(Besides, this is what modding is for, among other things.)

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 29, 2023, 10:49:03 PMWOW! No ability to Save whenever you want? That could be a deal-breaker.  :TimeOut:

....yeah, I could see that being potentially more of a problem for me. I'm still willing to give it a try, but I'd rather have the option than the necessity to play Ironman mode. That combined with the requirement to beat certain missions in a particular order to unlock later kit and missions... well, okay, that's a tutorial-designed campaign structure, I get that, but imagine playing Panzer General or Combat Mission or CommandOps2 (or its predecessors) with a forced Ironman mode to campaign progression unlocking kit and missions.

To be fair, I do usually choose to play those games as a reload-mission on mission failure, but I also like the option to choose otherwise! Having that lack, combined with a forced campaign structure, is.... man, I dunno. I'm still willing to try, but I don't understand the design choice to combo those characteristics.
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by JasonPratt - Yesterday at 08:27:37 AM
Speaking of downplaying Wagner: is that Group even a thing anymore? I haven't been where I can keep up with their shennanigans, but I recall them taking boocoos of losses in the past few weeks, and I even posted a report that a (chief?) leader had defected to the West somewhere -- which I didn't have time to vett, so I was hoping someone would pro or con that.