Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Wagner is apparently taking a "pause" at Bakhmut.

Have been some bizzarro statements thrown around by Prigoszhin in the past week complaining about the fact that he just doesn't get the love he deserves; he uses the word ammunition...but in his mind that is probably the same thing.

https://www.newsweek.com/wagner-group-bakhmut-tactical-pause-ukraine-1786847

BTW, I think Wagner taking a unilateral decision to "pause" is a great case study why the US' Founding Fathers had an aversion to the use of mercenaries.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  Before this all said and done, I bet the Russians will stoop to even trying to hire mercenary dogs to blow up Ukrainian tanks.

:stormtrooper2:

Gusington

^I bet that has been done already :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Dammit! Nine months until Christmas.  :doh:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

JasonPratt

Some nice controlled direct aim fire discipline, before a little suppression. That guy knows what he's doing! HE DEFINITELY EARNS THE BACKPACK!  :present:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I wonder what would happen if he picked-up the wrong backpack and tried feeding his BVD's into that gun?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

He might put a wedgie in their lines, but I bet the Russian response would be elastic enough to snap back into line quickly.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

GDS_Starfury

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Tripoli on March 11, 2023, 01:59:48 PMKiev Independent article on the current Russian and upcoming Ukrainian offensive.  Worth a read:
https://kyivindependent.com/hot-topic/season-of-offensives-what-to-expect-from-the-spring-campaign-in-ukraine

That's a good, fair article, Trip.  I hope the Ukrainians are able to stand toe-to-toe with the Russians and beat them off, then respond with a heavy counter-attack.  I still worry that a long-term war is in Russia's favor, especially if folks in the West continue to look at short-term military production as a medium priority rather than an urgent priority.

Ukraine is the Czechoslovakia to Putin's version of Nazi Germany.  Spending a little more blood and treasure now will pay huge dividends for the next 20+ years.  Spending too little now will lock all of the West into an arms race with China and Russia whose expenses will dwarf the current exertions of NATO countries in Ukraine.

Crossroads

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 11, 2023, 05:50:22 PM-snip-

Ukraine is the Czechoslovakia to Putin's version of Nazi Germany.  Spending a little more blood and treasure now will pay huge dividends for the next 20+ years.  Spending too little now will lock all of the West into an arms race with China and Russia whose expenses will dwarf the current exertions of NATO countries in Ukraine.

I have a sinking feeling this the equal to Hitler's (and Stalin's) Invasion of Poland. Ukraine is putting up a fierce resistance against an invader who wants to erase their identity from the map.

The Munich moment was perhaps annexation of Crimea, and extending the hostilities to Donbass. Appeasement won. Before that, there were South Ossetia and Abkhazia effectively annexed from Georgia and Transnistria annexed from Moldova.

Is it global war, does China decide Russia can't lose the war? Or, if appeasement wins again, does Putin walk away as a self declared winner of this war, too.

Bad and worse choices. We seem to be heading towards a world where no longer there can be power vacuums, any weak spots will be filled by force if necessary.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY