Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Not the flight. I like the added complexity to the flight model...but I hate the targeting. I just want to select a target, lock it and shoot. I'm not a fan of the target cycling and pinning system. I don't really see a point for the pinning mechanic. i never use it and probably never will. In addition, I'm on the fence over whether I like the gimbal ability. I think it makes hitting the target a little too easy and takes some of the skill factor out of the equation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Quote from: Destraex on October 11, 2020, 05:08:53 PM
Quote from: Skoop on October 11, 2020, 11:44:36 AM
To be honest, I wish they'd dump the SQ42 bs and just focus on the the PU, that is where the real brilliance lie in the game.  They've vest too much into it though and it's like squadrons campaign, only meant to get you going like an intro. 
For me squadron42 was always the meat of the game. It's not just an intro and will be coming out in paid "seasons" or chapters after the initial release. I expect it to take a fair while to complete the first release. As it did in wing commander. Additionally it's coop.

@Jar: I don't think they are too complex, for us at least.

There lies the conflict of this game taking a decade to complete and still not being done.  The PU already has sp and coop elements in it.  The PU is the meat, that's the space sim sandbox that the game is meant to be, build your own star citizen path.  The SQ42 on rails sp coop is for Care Bears too scared for the pvp world, it just ends up being a sideshow.  Promises are made to complete it, don't be surprised if the first chapter is released and that's as far as it gets.  The best thing for the game would be consolidation and full steam ahead into the PU.

Destraex

Skoop I guess I am a care bear then. I am after the wing commander story experience of old.
I am struggling to remember, but I thought SQ42 was originally the focus of this game and the PU was something that was voted on later?

* It will not take all of my time up trying to join up with a bunch of PU people at night online who often will not be there at the exact time I want to play. I can be straight in every night to AAA actors and challenging interesting well laid out and planned missions.
* It should give me a chance to hone any skills needed for PU.
* I am not as big a fan of open ended PU style games any more. The time and toxicity are things I am short of these days. Naval Action was enough. I play plenty of games against people and do alright. This game is not just for the top 1% of "overly" dedicated players.
* I don't want to spend hours grinding for that ship I just lost. In some games grinding is enjoyable and in others just downright frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably enjoy the PTU. But I tend to like things that have a "work day" in them. Things that I can get in and out of with a fairly reliable time line.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

CptHowdy

downloading this now. bought the avenger titan starter package. does grogheads have an organization to join? in game name is Redsman. will hopefully be in game and test driving my ship @10pm est later this evening!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 22, 2020, 02:17:33 AM
downloading this now. bought the avenger titan starter package. does grogheads have an organization to join? in game name is Redsman. will hopefully be in game and test driving my ship @10pm est later this evening!

No GH organization,  but a couple guys are online. I'm Jarhead0331.

Titan is a good starter ship.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

I am Yskonyn, but hardly ever online yet.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

It seems both the single and pu were both in from the beginning;

From the wiki:
7]

Kickstarter and early releases
In its initial debut on Kickstarter, Star Citizen was marketed as "everything that made Wing Commander and Privateer / Freelancer special." The proposed game was claimed to include a single-player story driven mode called Squadron 42 that would include drop in/drop out co-op, a company-hosted persistent universe mode, a self-hosted, mod friendly multiplayer mode, no subscriptions, and no pay-to-win mechanics.

Destraex

Been enjoying star citizen with two other mates and the odd mate trying it for the first time in our little friends org.
It's fairly well playable. There are bugs to contend with but for the most part the game works fine and is a lot of fun. There is more than enough to keep me occupied for a very long time here. I am mainly doing cargo runs and the odd mining trip in my friends Mole.

airboy

Jarhead0331

What are you doing in that drake herald? I wish they would add the data running and hacking features already!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I told you des, the pu is where it's at for this game.  I thought the single player SQ42 was what I was looking for but after delving deep into the pu, I can say that it's pretty much all I'd play in star citizen. 

The Mercury Star Runner is releasing with the up coming 3.12 patch which is another ship that does data running.  It's supposedly the fastest cargo ship in the game and has smuggling capabilities.  Meaning your hold can't be scanned so contraban can't be detected by UEE patrols.  If you wanted to get rich smuggling clandestine drugs and get away with it.....the star runner might be your ship.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on November 15, 2020, 07:05:10 PM
I told you des, the pu is where it's at for this game.  I thought the single player SQ42 was what I was looking for but after delving deep into the pu, I can say that it's pretty much all I'd play in star citizen. 

The Mercury Star Runner is releasing with the up coming 3.12 patch which is another ship that does data running.  It's supposedly the fastest cargo ship in the game and has smuggling capabilities.  Meaning your hold can't be scanned so contraban can't be detected by UEE patrols.  If you wanted to get rich smuggling clandestine drugs and get away with it.....the star runner might be your ship.

I thought the star runner was coming with 3.11.1?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2020, 06:32:30 PM
What are you doing in that drake herald? I wish they would add the data running and hacking features already!
We had just picked up a mate and it was the onky ship available for the three of us. It was a laugh moving the new bloke to port ollisar from riket memorial spaceport. We met another mate half way and EVAed down to the carrack below in that screenshot.

Skoop

You might be right, what ever the next up date is the star runner is in it.  It's actually flyable in the PTU, right now.

Destraex

Quote from: Skoop on November 15, 2020, 07:05:10 PM

Whether the experience in the ptu ot sq42 is better is really going to depend on how toxic the organisations and mechanics of the ptu are for casual players I think. I am so glad to be getting a structured military campaign story mode. I think having both ptu and sq42 is the perfect combo. Like freelancer fused with wing commander.