Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts work in progress.

Started by Destraex, July 19, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

Got it, played one battle so far.  There is a fair amount of detail shown in the interface.  Not much micro managing, you simply point and click to shoot or move.  Graphics are pretty good, I bet the non micro control will be fine for large battles.  Could be frustrating for people who want more control.  Battleships seem very tanky as they should be.  The battle I played, I couldn't sink the enemy battle ships, but sunk everything else which made them flee.  Pretty detailed damage system and graphics.  Torpedoes are quite effective and might be op, but they also make light ships more useful.

My 9 year old loves it for the ship builder, he spent and hour making Frankenstein ship creations, then testing them out.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Had to refund it as you can't rebind commands from WASD.  That's a no-go for me.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 11, 2021, 08:23:00 PM
Had to refund it as you can't rebind commands from WASD.  That's a no-go for me.

Most is done by mouse and for the WASD keys (I have an Azerty keyboard) I use Autohotkey (https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm) (https://www.autohotkey.com/).

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, I have AutoHotKey installed but I never use it.  It's mostly on principle that I refund games that don't offer the ability to remap controls...well...it's partially on principle and partly because I'm lazy. 

OK, I'm just too lazy to set up AutoHotKey but in theory, there's also the principle of the thing.

If they implement rebinding, I'll pick it up.  If not, I'll just stick to Rule the Waves.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 12, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
Yeah, I have AutoHotKey installed but I never use it.  It's mostly on principle that I refund games that don't offer the ability to remap controls...well...it's partially on principle and partly because I'm lazy. 

OK, I'm just too lazy to set up AutoHotKey but in theory, there's also the principle of the thing.

If they implement rebinding, I'll pick it up.  If not, I'll just stick to Rule the Waves.

It's still early access. Hopefully this is something that will eventually be addressed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 12, 2021, 11:54:02 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 12, 2021, 10:23:37 PM

It's still early access. Hopefully this is something that will eventually be addressed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1069660/discussions/0/1637549649110545143/

at the moment the key binding option is not available, but it will be added at later stage of development.

But ... this was posted November 2019.

Gusington

They clearly want to make SDR work for his key binding option.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

The seas are safe from the scourge of the Left-Handed Navy for a little while longer.

DetCord

As someone that's been with the game since it first launched in EA two years ago I'm somewhat torn.

Pros-Median-Concerns:

• You can design ships, sort of.

• It's easy to use but hard to master thanks to a tendency for information overload.

• The visuals are passable to decent. It has AA issues, the various skyboxes are dated looking PNG files, visual damage can render oddly at times.

• They designed a projectile simulation before they even started on the engine itself. The game simulates kinetic munitions and the ridiculous computational mathematics behind them at an absurd level. Think Steel Beasts or VBS4 level.

Cons:

• It has lots of bugs.

• The AI gunnery seems to cheat more often than not.

• The GUI is finicky at times and honestly looks like it was designed by a first-year game-dev school graduate. It also tends to function like one as well.

• The dynamic campaign (core aspect) is an unrealized mess.

◘ You can't form Fleets or Task Forces.
       ◘ You can only moves ships between ports. They don't group when engaged.
       ◘ You can't direct ships or your nonexistent Fleets or Task Force to missions. Meaning you can't manually move them, assign patrols, routes, interdictions, etc.
       ◘ Encounters and missions and the like are completely randomized, as are the vessels that engage in them. Proximity of ships in port to a mission area have no impact upon the makeup of said battle.

Screens:

FlickJax

Rayfer

Quote from: FlickJax on December 14, 2021, 07:03:01 AM
Guess I will hold off for a bit, pity

My thoughts exactly.  Thanks to DC for the summary.

Gusington

I still have a ton of fun with it and barely notice the more technical complaints above. And given the show of support that GameLabs has shown, plus the lack of anything really similar on the market plus the roughly 30.00 dollar price, it is still well worth it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on December 14, 2021, 08:20:53 AM
I still have a ton of fun with it and barely notice the more technical complaints above. And given the show of support that GameLabs has shown, plus the lack of anything really similar on the market plus the roughly 30.00 dollar price, it is still well worth it.

I'm +1 here. The game has rough edges...but I think it is fun to play.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Looks like key remapping will be included in the next patch.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd